Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer and SMB shares for music source
15-12-2014, 19:18
RE: MinimServer and SMB shares for music source
(15-12-2014 19:06)rhoering Wrote:  Simon,

Is there a limit of using only one (1) SMB share for the content directory on the Windows version?

Thx,

Ron

I don't think so. Have you had a problem when you specify more than one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 21:27
Yes I tried to add a second unc and it complained.
16-12-2014, 00:30
(15-12-2014 21:27)rhoering Wrote:  Yes I tried to add a second unc and it complained.

Please can you be more specific about "it complained". What was the exact error message? Did the error message appear in red at the bottom of the Properties window when you pressed OK after adding the second value?

Are you sure the second UNC path was valid? Did you try using it as the first contentDir value to confirm this?
16-12-2014, 14:21
Sorry Simon,

It said it was an invalid path but I had copied directly from a Windows Explorer window that was open.

I will try moving it to the first and check the log.

Ron
16-12-2014, 14:43
Sorry if this is just too simple, but could this (even in part) be a manifestation of the old 'backslash/forward slash' problem?

When Explorer copies the address as text, the slashes will be backslashes. For any environment other than the Windows file system, these need to be changed to forward slashes; almost certainly that is how they will need to be entered in the MinimWatch properties window.

Apologies if you had already done this, but it does continue to catch people out.

David
16-12-2014, 14:46
(16-12-2014 14:21)rhoering Wrote:  Sorry Simon,

It said it was an invalid path but I had copied directly from a Windows Explorer window that was open.

I will try moving it to the first and check the log.

Ron

Does the message text by any chance say "No directory name"? If not, please post the *exact text* of the message.

It seems there is a problem in 0.8.3 that can produce a "No directory name" message if the UNC path is an SMB share. If you use a folder within the share, it should work.
16-12-2014, 14:52
(16-12-2014 14:43)DavidHB Wrote:  Sorry if this is just too simple, but could this (even in part) be a manifestation of the old 'backslash/forward slash' problem?

When Explorer copies the address as text, the slashes will be backslashes. For any environment other than the Windows file system, these need to be changed to forward slashes; almost certainly that is how they will need to be entered in the MinimWatch properties window.

Apologies if you had already done this, but it does continue to catch people out.

David

The OP didn't say whether he was using MinimServer or MinimWatch. I had assumed MinimServer, but perhaps you are correct in thinking it was MinimWatch. If it was MinimWatch, the contentDir value needs to be translated to the local path format of the Linux machine running MinimServer, as you have explained.
16-12-2014, 15:10
Hi Simon,

I found out that I did infact need to use a directory in the share.

The exact error is: "No directory name, correct highlighted value and retry"

BR,

Ron
16-12-2014, 15:11
Thanks David,

Good to call this out. I have been running MinimServer on both Linux and Windows so I have the "\" and the "/" sorted.

BR,

Ron

(16-12-2014 14:43)DavidHB Wrote:  Sorry if this is just too simple, but could this (even in part) be a manifestation of the old 'backslash/forward slash' problem?

David
16-12-2014, 15:25
(16-12-2014 15:10)rhoering Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I found out that I did infact need to use a directory in the share.

The exact error is: "No directory name, correct highlighted value and retry"

BR,

Ron

Thanks for confirming this and thanks for letting me know about the problem. I ahould be able to produce a fix fairly soon.