Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please help me start up with tags
07-08-2021, 09:10 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2021 09:22 by simbun.)
RE: Please help me start up with tags
(06-08-2021 21:01)simoncn Wrote:  To see the XML metadata that MinimServer sends to the control point, you need to select Trace, not Debug. Because of the very large amount of output this can produce, it should be enabled only for a short time.
And I even tested it to make sure I got it right!
I can only assume that my fingers are more used to dealing with syslog so they typed the most verbose logging level available there and overrode my brain; a little worrying!

(07-08-2021 00:07)MiniMe Wrote:  Please help remind me, what are we looking for?

At various points you talked about how to deal with missing values in AlbumArtist, but it wasn't clear whether it was because the album truly didn't have one, or whether your tagging routines just hadn't filled it in.
Hopefully you now understand that applying a .default isn't going to fix lazy tagging (forgetting to fill out AlbumArtist), and the implications of using it (assigned an artist if only a single artist across the entire album or [unknown] otherwise) so at this point it's down to you.

Personally I make sure all my tags are fully populated even if that means I have duplication (AlbumArtist, AlbumArtistSort, Artist, ArtistSort all having potentially the same value), it's a small price to pay (given the size of the music file), helps with my QA routines, and means that if I want to use my music outside of MinimServer then it still works (my portable devices don't apply a similar default).

I don't have any Classical or Opera and use Musicbrainz as the source of my tagging which relies heavily on AlbumArtist from a database perspective, so I've never even considered how to deal with an album that has no AlbumArtist, if I did then that may change my mind (I might leave it blank).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help me start up with tags - simbun - 07-08-2021 09:10