Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding with Minimserver
14-06-2013, 14:33
RE: Transcoding with Minimserver
(14-06-2013 12:23)Cebolla Wrote:  Oh that's a shame about the all or nothing approach! I don't understand why there's a lack of choice in selecting which types to transcode to WAV (other than the obvious advantage of a quicker implementaion solution, of course).

The benefit of having transcoding to WAV switched on may be outweighed by not allowing the choice of file types supported by the renderer to be handled by it in their original format, IMHO. This may especially so for LOSSY types, which most (if not all) should be able to be transcoded to WAV (eg at least Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC & MP3) and where the renderer is able to be set up to handle them with its own favoured file type specific profiles/sound enhancements.

This problem can possibly be avoided by running two Minimservers on the system, one set to transcode to WAV, the other not. However, the problem will remain in the case of mixed format playlists.

Would you consider adding this choice at a later date, if not to the next update with the enhanced transcoding?

MinimServer doesn't support Ogg Vorbis or WMA, and I don't currently have any plans to add support for these formats.

For AAC and MP3, I would consider providing an option to disable transcoding for these types. This enhancement would need to be considered along with any other issues or requests that may come up when the first release of enhanced transcoding support is available.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Transcoding with Minimserver - bulpy - 27-04-2013, 11:29
RE: Transcoding with Minimserver - simoncn - 14-06-2013 14:33