Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior?
29-03-2019, 10:17
RE: Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior?
(29-03-2019 08:20)simoncn Wrote:  A solution is to add GROUP tags to files that are part of a musical work (see this section). When you are browsing, this creates an and the extra container appears in BubbleUPnP with an arrow button for playing the complete work.

Thanks, I'll try that but I am convinced that what we see here is a MinimServer bug, not the expected behavior: the problem is that, in terms of metadata, there is absolutely no difference between the first and the second case.

In both cases, we have to do with subsets of exactly one album with full-fledged metadata. The reason why MinimServer treats the first case differently from the second case is that it reaches the first one through a slightly different search path: after selecting Britten's string quartet No. 2, MinimServer does not display a screen with something like

1 album
3 items

because it finds exactly one match and hence (intelligent browsing) it avoids presenting redundant information. The fact that this information is not shown to the user does not mean, however, that it should be neglected: the next screen should contain full album information just as in the Schubert case.

The fact that the three tracks of Britten's string quartet No. 2 are part of an album with full metadata can be easily verified by selecting "complete album" in the screen that presents only loose tracks.

I have also reproduced this behavior throughout my collection: all searches that are matched by a single album end up in a Britten-like screen. All searches that are matched by two or more albums behave as one would expect. This can be very confusing and my wife, for instance, finds it very annoying.

Wrapping up: I believe that MinimServer should create an extra container representing the work as a whole both in the second and in the first case. The fact that, for searches that are matched by exactly one album, certain redundant information is not presented to the user, should not prevent MinimServer from creating a suitable container for the album that matches the search. At least, I do not see any logical reason why it should not work this way.

From a different perspective: the MinimServer browsing scheme is designed in such a way that it is not possible for a user to obtain an empty result. Under these premises, I would expect that any result that is a subset of one or more albums with associated full metadata is treated in the same way. This is not the case in the current MinimServer implementation.

Thanks for looking into this issue! Best,
Nicola
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior? - nbpf - 29-03-2019 10:17