Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does dff:dopwav transcode the DSD file in itself?
12-12-2015, 10:07 (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 10:08 by Linn_agnostik.)
Does dff:dopwav transcode the DSD file in itself?
Hello Simon,
I've recently upgraded my front-end to remove my Linn ADS1 and moved to a Thrax Maximinus dac with a built-in lan streamer.

Now, my new DAC (which is basically an OEM-ed MSB Diamond IV inside with much improved analog-end) is DSD 128 capable and 32/384khz on PCM. I've verified DSD playing correctly via USB (and it does show DSD64 or DSD128 on the display), however I had problem playing those same DFF files through the LAN.

All my music lies on a Synology NAS server and is streamed via the latest minimserver/streamer and I have no intention of changing that.

When trying to play native DFF files via the Lumin App/Minimserver I get "no signal" on the display of my dac and silence. After reading up a bit I added dff:dopwav on minimstreamer and voila, music plays just fine.

My question is this: on the display, the DAC pronounces 24/176.4 which I guess is consistent with the DOP standard. But is it really getting an unprocessed DSD file in a PCM container? Why is it reporting a DSD64/128 on the USB signal, is it receiving the DSD file in a different container?

All I really want to know that I am not transcoding the DSD file, but playing it as "natively" as possible.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but some information is probably pertinent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Does dff:dopwav transcode the DSD file in itself? - Linn_agnostik - 12-12-2015 10:07