Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AlbumArtist Issues - creates more Albums
27-09-2014, 15:32
RE: AlbumArtist Issues - creates more Albums
(27-09-2014 12:37)Pastim Wrote:  This is exactly what happens if I don't use an alias for AlbumArtist, isn't it?

No, because it isn't possible currently to have more than one AlbumArtist value for an album. The current approach for matching on Artist values is similar to this (with the order considered significant).

Quote:I cannot guarantee the order of multi-value tags, since that depends on how the tagging software processes my entries (eg entered as Richter\\Fischer-Dieskau). I hope it preserves the order but cannot be 100% sure.

The order of tags is significant and I would be surprised if any tagging software changes this.

Quote:I suggested adding an extra optional tag to the multiFolderAlbum property so that for all existing users there would be no change at all, and the matching issue you mention will remain. For those that have a puzzle like mine, the rules would change to use that tag instead of AlbumArtist, ....

If this were to be supported, I think it would need to allow the user to specify any combination of tags which would replace the current combination of Album plus either AlbumArtist or Artist. I don't think it's an ideal or complete solution because some people would still find it surprising that they can't specify more than one AlbumArtist value for an album.

Quote:As I said, the only reason I use an alias at all is because of the (to me still slightly odd) handling of AlbumArtist when it has multiple values and I try to use it as an index.

I think this is the real issue rather than the current matching rules.

Quote:However, if I'm the only person to have this problem, please don't do any work on it unless you think others might benefit as well. Whilst minimserver really is a great system, it isn't my main server (I use LMS/Squeezebox most of the time).

I appreciate the feedback and I will bear it in mind as something to be considered for the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AlbumArtist Issues - creates more Albums - simoncn - 27-09-2014 15:32