Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist vs. AlbumArtist
20-10-2012, 21:52 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 21:53 by Oroperplex.)
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist
(15-08-2012 17:01)Briain Wrote:  Compilation album:

AlbumArtist=Blue Note Sampler
Album=Blue Note Sampler
Artist=John Doe
Album=Noisy Bugger
Album=Betty Bazookas

(The above is a made up example where it might be sensible to leave the AlbumArtist the same as the Album name; it might be the most logical one to look for if you wanted to play that album.)

I then selected all the compilations and used a different 'guess action' to populate all the AlbumArtist values with the album names. That meant the whole issue was usable after these two automated actions. My reasoning behind doing that with the compilations was that for albums like 'Ibiza Chillout Album', I'd rather have that as the AlbumArtist than just 'Various' (and it was only a temporary measure until I got round to manually re-tagging each album; as described below).

I then spent ages - at my leisure - working through all the compilations and rewriting the AlbumArtist values with the ones that I actually wanted (so that's when I populated the above with 'Peel, John'. Once that was done, I looked at all the single artist albums (like Pink Floyd and David Bowie) and renamed the ones with an artist name to the Surname, Firstname format (so that's when I changed David Bowie to Bowie, David).

I have never changed any artist values as that's what scrolls across the media player screen when it's playing (and I'd rather see it as 'David Bowie').

Bri

i also changed tag "artist" into format lastname,surname and e.g. The Beatles into Beatles, The; Cure, The and so on. For me it`s more convenient to scroll in tag "artist" through lastnames and not of tons of The ....

Open question for me, to fill in sampler albums the "album artist" with the album name ? That means between all of the artists in "albumartist" i will find several album names Confused But ok with something the "albumartist" has to be filled, if not, we found all of the track artists in the "album artist". That´s not so good.

Perhaps a good idea when we fill albumartist with the album name and do not want to find them in the overall albumartist selection is the following
1.) all track artist equal album artist = shown in album artist category

2.) all track artist not equal album artist = shown in album artist category (means albums that are no samplers or soundtracks but have some different track artists e.g. album The Cream of Clapton)

3.) tag album equal album artist = sign fo minim to show these albums in a subcategory /albumartist/compilations
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Artist vs. AlbumArtist - winxi - 15-08-2012, 14:17
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - simoncn - 15-08-2012, 22:32
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - simoncn - 16-08-2012, 06:30
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - simoncn - 16-08-2012, 11:29
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - simoncn - 16-08-2012, 12:16
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - Briain - 15-08-2012, 17:01
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - winxi - 15-08-2012, 20:59
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - Oroperplex - 20-10-2012 21:52
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist - simoncn - 15-08-2012, 22:20