Post Reply 
Basic error in numerical sorting of album names
12-01-2014, 21:31 (This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 21:32 by simoncn.)
Post: #24
RE: Basic error in numerical sorting of album names
(12-01-2014 20:39)DavidL Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification.
I did a similar set of tests with iTunes running on a Mac Mini this morning. I called my albums A 1, A 2 ……………A 10, A 11, A 12. These were sorted (correctly??) in ascending order.

I tried this on a Mac and the order is "Test 2 xxx" followed by "Test 10 xxx". It seems surprising that the order would differ between Mac and Windows, but I've checked everything I can think of and this does seem to be the case.

If I'm correct about this difference, this would give a further twist to which sort order iTunes users might consider to be "natural".

Quote:Thanks to contributors for the depth of discussion of this topic. I'm obviously in a minority so it looks as though I will need to edit several hundred album titles to ensure I obtain what I regard as the 'natural' sort order for classical music works of the type I listed above.

David

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of doing this. It might be even more inconvenient than you think, because you would need to apply the new tag to all files, not just those that aren't being sorted as you expect. I'll continue to think about various possibilities for how MinimServer might provide a more convenient solution for this in the longer term.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic error in numerical sorting of album names - simoncn - 12-01-2014 21:31

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)