Post Reply 
deb packages
26-11-2015, 19:08
Post: #11
RE: deb packages
(26-11-2015 17:56)igrnt Wrote:  I understand your concerns, most importantly the extra work required. Note that I'm not asking you to create and maintain deb packages - I can and would have done this myself just for OMV, but I got the impression that the licence prohibits this. So my question is: would you be happy to allow this?

This immediately resolves your issues 1-4.

I don't think it resolves issue 1. If you keep the current MinimServer folder layout, issue 1 still applies. If you don't keep the current MinimServer folder layout, you would need to completely rewrite the MinimServer scripts.

Regarding issue 2, new releases of MinimServer would not be available on OMV immediately but would require you to do a further packaging step first. If for any reason you were not able to do this, MinimServer users on OMV would be unable to upgrade to the new release. With the VortexBox approach, new releases are available to VortexBox users immediately.

Regarding issue 3, I presume your .deb package would be available as an alternative to my .tar.gz packages, unless you have done something when building the package that ties it specifically to OMV.

Quote:It should (would) also satisfy issue 5.

I presume this would require you to rewrite the functionality in the minimserver/bin/update command. If I were to make changes to minimserver/bin/update in the future because the foilder structure changes, your version wouldn't work any more.

Quote:I don't consider issue 6 to be a problem - if an OMV user wanted to do this, they would be free to go 'off-piste', but the OMV plugin wouldn't support it. In any case, such a situation requires some customization, no? The init scripts don't start multiple instances, do they?

The current scripts have full support for multiple instances with no user customization. If you install MinimServer in a second directory and run minimserver/bin/setup to enable autostart, the init script will be modified to start both instances.

Quote:Of course, ultimately I will respect your wishes, and if I have to do it similar to the VortexBox way I will.

For the reasons given above, I do not wish to allow MinimServer to be repackaged and redistributed by someone else as a .deb package.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
deb packages - igrnt - 20-11-2015, 09:51
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 20-11-2015, 10:22
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 20-11-2015, 10:45
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 20-11-2015, 13:27
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 20-11-2015, 18:56
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 20-11-2015, 21:43
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 21-11-2015, 20:57
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 22-11-2015, 17:42
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 25-11-2015, 18:11
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 26-11-2015, 17:56
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 26-11-2015 19:08
RE: deb packages - igrnt - 26-11-2015, 19:23
RE: deb packages - simoncn - 26-11-2015, 21:09

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)