Post Reply 
WD MyCloud and Minimserver
10-06-2015, 20:13
Post: #15
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver
Simon,

Thanks again for all your work on the new build. It runs very well on a MyBook Live. For others that may be interested, here is a rough outline of what I did:

Downloaded the Java file recommended earlier in this thread and saved in a folder /shares/Public/Java. I used tar -zxf to extract it (not sure if those are the necessary options but it worked). I now have a directory called ejre1.7.0_75 in ../Public/Java. I wasn't sure how to permanently change the PATH environment variable so I created a link to the /usr/local/bin directory which is already in the PATH

ln -s /shares/Public/Java/ejre1.7.0_75/bin/java /usr/local/bin/java

Confirm Java can be found with the command "java -version", I get the following:

MyBookLive:/shares/Public# java -version
java version "1.7.0_75"
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_75-b13, headless)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)

I then used tar to extract the new PPC build of MinimServer to a folder /shares/Public/Minim, then went down a couple of levels to /shares/Public/Minim/minimserver/bin where the key management scripts are. Typing the command "./startc" confirmed Minimserver no longer had the GLIBC crash

MyBookLive:/shares/Public/Minim/minimserver/bin# ./startc
MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
MinimStreamer 0.5.12, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer[MyBookLive]
Enter command (? for help), or null to exit:

Instead I guess I could have gone straight to ./startd, which I then did, to have Minimserver run constantly, and on running MinimWatch from my PC it picked up the new server straight away with a red icon to warn that no content directory had been specified - having specified the content directory I was all set. Installation of the transcoding package via MinimWatch also worked.

Performance? Way beyond what I was expecting. Server restarts are a tad slow (to be expected on a MyBook), but once running, it pretty much flies using Kinksy on an iPad. Transcoding works without skipping a beat.

Anyone out there who is trying to keep a MyBook going or otherwise has a WD NAS that is restricted to an old verison of Twonky, it's well worth having a go. Sound quality is noticeably better, and MinimServer is simply miles better than Twonky in so many ways. I had previously installed the current version of Twonky on my MyBook but it still has basic design flaws.

Just want to finish with a big Thank You to Simon, wherever you are, I am raising a beer to your good health.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
WD MyCloud and Minimserver - wallydaw - 31-03-2015, 12:18
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - ac16161 - 10-06-2015 20:13
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 24-09-2016, 02:12
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 21-10-2016, 13:35
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 07-04-2017, 20:21
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 16-03-2018, 22:06
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 15-09-2016, 15:16
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 16-09-2016, 02:01
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 20-10-2016, 05:49
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver - Soli - 21-10-2016, 02:31

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)