|
Melco Audiophile NAS
|
|
13-12-2014, 18:17
(This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 18:24 by DavidHB.)
Post: #5
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: I was concerned that my post might elicit the kind of responses typical of the Linn forum, and I'm thankful this hasn't happened (yet). Perhaps we're all too nice Seriously, it would be good to know what other folk think.(12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: [The Melco NAS] has been loaned to me by Melco. If you want to buy one, a web search tells me that it is available from Analogue Seduction. The N1A HDD version is £1,600, which is a lot for a (2 x 2TB) NAS, but perhaps a not totally surprising price. The N1Z SSD version (with 2 x 512GB "audio quality" SSDs) is an eye-watering £6,200. The specifications for the two models are somewhat differently laid out, but, apart from the drives, I cannot detect any significant difference between them from the text. Which version are you testing? If it is the HDD version, is it suitably free of mechanical noise so that it can reside in the listening room? Melco is a brand of Buffalo Technology, so the effort that has gone into improving the network behaviour of these devices should come as no surprise. What is surprising, to me as to you, is that it should have such an effect on SQ. (12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: My approach to this is scientific, by which I mean formulating a theory, trying an experiment to validate the theory, observing the results and then trying to understand any observed differences from what the theory would predict. My first 12 experiments with different server hardware didn't show any significant difference, as expected from my theory. I was very surprised by the result from experiment number 13 and I am now trying to understand what is causing this. I shall be very interested to know your conclusions. (12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote:DavidHB Wrote:Was the "very noticeable change in the clarity and transparency of the music" you observed in any way comparable to the change in SQ you experience as consequence of transcoding your files to WAV24?It is very similar but even more noticeable. For example, the first piece in Monterverdi's Vespers (a favourite test track of mine) has powerful choral singing with some trumpets playing. On poor equipment, it isn't easy to hear the trumpets in the "wall of sound". On my pre-Melco setup, the trumpets are clearly audible and blend in with the choral singing. With the Melco, the trumpets are as clear as if they were playing as solo instruments. Is this by any chance the second Eliot Gardiner recording (made in St Mark's, Venice)? If so, I understand exactly what you mean, and this is something I would love to experience. (12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: I am told by Melco that the improvements are caused by reduced jitter in sending the network data, opto-isolation to prevent transmission of electrical noise and a better power supply to prevent common mode interference. My understanding of these technical details is quite limited and I won't attempt to expand on what I have been told. My knowledge is also limited. I can see how reducing jitter improves SQ, but do not pretend to understand the relationship between improved signal/noise performance and SQ in a digital system. (12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: Like you, I had thought that the Linn player would be more or less immune from interference by anything at the other end of the Ethernet cable and it was a great surprise that I could hear such a big difference. I'd dearly love to know what the Linn engineers think of this ... ![]() (12-12-2014 18:46)simoncn Wrote: Since you happen to mention cables, I will report one more observation. The Melco player came with a Melco cable whch was claimed to improve sound quality. For the Melco to Linn connection, I have compared the Melco cable with a normal Cat 5 cable and there is a small but noticeable improvement when using the Melco cable. This improvement is much less than the improvement from connecting the Linn via the Melco NAS. This is the first report I trust of network cables having any effect on SQ. It seems not only that higher quality cables do not provide the greatest measure of improvement, but also that they are best used as part of a coherent programme to improve network signal quality. That at least starts to make sense. David |
|||
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)

Search
Member List
Calendar
Help


Seriously, it would be good to know what other folk think.
