Post Reply 
jriver showing duplicate minim filenames
09-08-2014, 12:33
Post: #11
RE: jriver showing duplicate minim filenames
(08-08-2014 23:18)magister Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 08:43)NWTStuff Wrote:  Anyone got any suggestions for some nice free software ?
On Windows, try foobar2000. Setup can be a pain (there is help on the 'net if you don't have an audiobuddy who knows foobar). But with the right plugins, it will play double-rate DSD and use MinimServer's browse tree when run as a UPnP controller. Various tablet/phone remote controls available. And it does gapless. You can adjust tagging within foobar, particularly useful when you spot an error and don't want to fire up a tag editor like mp3tag. And--something I have seen nowhere else and find very useful--it will show you the properties of a file. Sometimes I need to locate a file and can't remember the where I put it, or I want to see the 'Comments' field while listening. Did I mention that it's free? Smile

+1 to all of this.

By way of a starter, here are some very basic pointers to getting foobar2000 up and working.

Download the software from http://www.foobar2000.org/. Install it and check that it works with your locally stored files. If you like it as a player (I do), you can use the dialog accessible from File|Preferences to manage the file associations and make foobar2000 (rather than, say, Windows Media Player) the default player for the file types you suggest.

To use foobar2000 as a control point, you need to work through several more steps. First, you need to download and install the foo_upnp component, the author of which is none other than bubbleguuum of BubbleUPnP fame. This is one of those cases where you do need to read the documentation, which is pretty complete if a little bit cryptic in places.

You will find that the component when first installed opens in a separate window from the player. If the player's main function is to work as a control point, this is not what you want. To spare you the complexities of foobar2000 layout editing, the documentation provides a link to a ready made DUI or theme, and the instructions for installing it. I found that this UI fully integrates the Control Point into the player and provides all the functionality I need.

I hope that these pointers help.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
RE: jriver showing duplicate minim filenames - DavidHB - 09-08-2014 12:33

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)