Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchestra Tag
27-06-2012, 12:41
RE: Orchestra Tag
(27-06-2012 12:04)bbrip Wrote:  The general approach is fine. I woudl just consider whether yo urelly wnat to overwhelm them with a whole load of new tags to fill or keep it a bit more limited.

Personally, I see not necessarily a need for Accompanist, Leader, Director, Choir / Chorus (maybe one of the two). So if they agree to fill Conductor, Orchestra, Ensemble, Soloist that would be a huge step forward.

Good look with the studios / content providers

bbrip

Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't mean to suggest they should/would use all of these tags. It was intended as a list of example tag names from which a smaller set would be chosen. I hope the content providers will see the benefit of having some consistent industry conventions for how they do this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 12:42
(27-06-2012 12:04)bbrip Wrote:  The general approach is fine. I woudl just consider whether yo urelly wnat to overwhelm them with a whole load of new tags to fill or keep it a bit more limited.

Personally, I see not necessarily a need for Accompanist, Leader, Director, Choir / Chorus (maybe one of the two). So if they agree to fill Conductor, Orchestra, Ensemble, Soloist that would be a huge step forward.

Good look with the studios / content providers

bbrip

+1
27-06-2012, 20:06
Couldn't it be possible to use the "performer" tag (some taging softwares provide this tag) to record the soloists ? This allows to separate the individual performers from the orchestra.
27-06-2012, 23:11
(27-06-2012 20:06)Raphaël Thévenin Wrote:  Couldn't it be possible to use the "performer" tag (some taging softwares provide this tag) to record the soloists ? This allows to separate the individual performers from the orchestra.

Thanks very much for this suggestion.

At the moment, if people want to tag this information, I believe they generally use the Artist tag to do this. If there are multiple performers, they use repeated Artist tags, one for each performer.

I understand that some people might prefer to use the Performer tag for this information instead of the Artist tag. If you want to do this, you can add Performer to the MinimServer indexTags property. After making this change to indexTags, if you have Performer tags in your music files, you'll see a Performer entry in the MinimServer index, but you won't see Performer information in the artist information string that's sent to the control point.

As I said in earlier posts on this thread, I'd prefer not to change this at the moment. Instead, I'm going to try to start discussions with content providers (record companies and music databases) about the best way to put this information into music files. If the result of these discussions is that the Performer tag should be used for this, I'll be happy to make the necessary changes to MinimServer.

I'd welcome any more comments or suggestions for how this information should be tagged.
29-06-2012, 21:54
For me all that is like doing the second or third step before the first.
I don't believe that there will be a solution in the way that record companies and music databases are going one common way of tagging. So my suggestion (no, I should say my expectation) is that a music server should be able to recognize and read all tags, no matter if they are standardized or user defined. Then it should present me a list of all tags. In this list I could enable or disable every tag by one mouse click and I could change the sort order by dragging just like I can do this with the tracks in a playlist in Kinsky on my iPhone.
This would be a basic function. And from that on we could go further and add functions like mixing fields and so on.
30-06-2012, 12:33
(29-06-2012 21:54)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  For me all that is like doing the second or third step before the first.
I don't believe that there will be a solution in the way that record companies and music databases are going one common way of tagging. So my suggestion (no, I should say my expectation) is that a music server should be able to recognize and read all tags, no matter if they are standardized or user defined. Then it should present me a list of all tags. In this list I could enable or disable every tag by one mouse click and I could change the sort order by dragging just like I can do this with the tracks in a playlist in Kinsky on my iPhone.
This would be a basic function. And from that on we could go further and add functions like mixing fields and so on.

I guess thats what Simon already achieves using the IndexTag property.

ie, if you tag your collection using the "Performer" tag, you use "Performer" as your indexTag, if you use "Soloist" you use Soloist as index Tag etc.. I dont think we need any fancy drag-and-drop configuration menus for this as you set this up once and its done.

I agree that it will be a tough call to get any buy-in on common standards by the content providers, but its worth giving it a try, as Simon intends. And to be honest: I would always want a certain amount of flexibility on my tagging-standards anyway - and glad Minim will cater for this Wink
22-07-2012, 18:41 (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 18:42 by bbrip.)
I've taken the plunge this weekend and started tidying up my Conductor and Orchestra tags. Conductor wasn't too bad but I was suprised how many different spellings of "Coro e Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia Roma" or "Academy of St. Martin in the Fields" I had floating around Smile "Wiener Phlharmoniker" or "Berliner Philharmoniker" are definitly easier to tag Tongue

I have also included Choruses in the Orchestra tag, altough I am not entirely sure I'm going to leave it this way is it clogs-up the Orchestra listing quite heavily.

The other thing I noticed is that a lot of Orchestras and Chorues just start with "Orchestra of This", "Chorus of That"... etc., which creates pages and pages of stuff just starting with "Chorus...." or "Orchestra...."

therefore I am thinking of moving to a sort-of-adaption of the "Lastname, Firstname" approach also for the Orchestra tag. Ie instead of tagging

"Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House Covent Garden" I might tag

"Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Chorus and Orchestra of the"

Would it be possible that future versions of Minim would turn the string following the comma around for display purpuses similar to the way the Artist and Conductor Lastname, Firstname expressions will be treated?

thanks for giving this a thought.

bbrip
22-07-2012, 18:57
(22-07-2012 18:41)bbrip Wrote:  Would it be possible that future versions of Minim would turn the string following the comma around for display purpuses similar to the way the Artist and Conductor Lastname, Firstname expressions will be treated?

Yes, I'm planning to make this option available for all tags. Smile

It could also be useful for Composer, Performer, Soloist, and probably a few others I haven't thought of.
22-07-2012, 19:14 (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 19:15 by bbrip.)
Splendid Smile

Yes, I had gathered from your previous comments that this will work for Composer, Conductor, Soloist, Performer and so on Wink