Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
java processes & memory usage on NAS
03-09-2013, 04:35 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 04:38 by The Computer Audiophile.)
java processes & memory usage on NAS
When MinimServer is running on my Synology NAS I noticed a large increase in memory usage. That's OK as I understand programs need to use memory. However, when running MinimServer I also noticed 30 separate java processes running and each uses the same amount of memory. As soon as I stop MinimServer the java processes disappear.

This seems very odd. Is this normal to have 30 java processes running from MinimServer?

Here are screenshots of what I see on my Synology DS1812+.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Founder

Audiophile Style
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 07:23
RE: java processes & memory usage on NAS
(03-09-2013 04:35)The Computer Audiophile Wrote:  When MinimServer is running on my Synology NAS I noticed a large increase in memory usage. That's OK as I understand programs need to use memory. However, when running MinimServer I also noticed 30 separate java processes running and each uses the same amount of memory. As soon as I stop MinimServer the java processes disappear.

This seems very odd. Is this normal to have 30 java processes running from MinimServer?

Here are screenshots of what I see on my Synology DS1812+.

This is because the x86 Synology firmware uses an older level of Linux (GLIBC 2.3.6) that uses Linuxthreads for multithreading instead of NPTL (the Native Posix Threading Library). With Linuxthreads, each thread within a process is displayed as if it were a separate process. With NPTL, a single process is displayed for all threads.

This is also the reason why the Synology x86 models can't run Java 7, as Java 7 requires GLIBC 2.4 or higher.

These issues don't affect Synology models with ARM or PowerPC processors, bcause these use a more modern version of Linux. Hopefully Synology will update the GLIBC level of the x86 firmware at some stage.

The screenshot you posted shows that MinimServer is using 28.6 MB of RAM in total (not 28.6 MB x 30). As most NASs these days contain at least 256 MB of RAM, this shouldn't cause any problems.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 15:36
RE: java processes & memory usage on NAS
Thanks for the info Simon.

Founder

Audiophile Style
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user