Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screwed up artist names
29-03-2022, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 29-03-2022 22:25 by nic1.)
Screwed up artist names
Hello there!

This is my first post although I read with interest here in the past.
MinimServer is a cool application.
I still go with the 'Starter' edition on my DS218+ since I upgraded to MinimServer 2 but now it behaves strange in combination with my music collection. (I had a bit of a struggle at upgrading so I'm glad that it does work again at all.)

My problem is: The displayed artist name on my media player (Yamaha NP-S303) isn't the title's "artist name" tag as before and expected, but it's always the "album artist" or the "composer" of the track. Sounds a bit weird but this even happens when I go over the "items" list. Album artist. Don't know why ...
As far as I remember, this worked without a problem at MinimServer 0.8. But because I only have the free version, I cannot reset the configuration easily.

What can I do to see the the real "artist name" (like it's called in foobar2000 for example) for each track on my MinimServer again?

Thank you in advance,

Nico
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2022, 22:51
RE: Screwed up artist names
This could be caused by your Yamaha music player (UPnP control point) not following the usual UPnP conventions for recognising composers and album artists in metadata sent by the server.

MinimServer has a property setting to compensate for this control point issue. In MinimServer 0.8, this property was tagCustom. In MinimServer 2, this property is upnpCustom.

The upgrade from MinimServer 0.8 to MinimServer 2 migrates the tagCustom setting to the equivalent upnpCustom setting if the upgrade is performed correctly. To use the upnpCustom property, you need to be running the trial version or full version of MinimServer 2.

I suggest you activate the 30-day free trial and check the upnpCustom property setting using MinimWatch. If this property is not set, try setting it to roleTags={} and restarting MinimServer. If setting upnpCustom to roleTags={} solves the problem, this was the cause.
30-03-2022, 10:13
RE: Screwed up artist names
(29-03-2022 22:51)simoncn Wrote:  If setting upnpCustom to roleTags={} solves the problem, this was the cause.
Interestingly this change fixes the HEOS control points display for 'Various Artists' albums (in that it now shows track artists where it didn't originally), but it still doesn't show multiple artists for non-Various Artists albums (if either track artist differs to album artist or there are multiple track artists).

I'm not using it as it's awful when compared to BubbleUPnP, but thought it might be of some in the future.