Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about MinimStreamer install / operation
14-01-2022, 16:44
Confused about MinimStreamer install / operation
I've just manually updated my two QNAP NAS to Minimserver 2.1 (=Starter Edition) and been looking features if I upgrade the licence.

As I rip using dbPoweramp and do my own re-tagging if necessary (Tag & Rename) to remove any tags related to Classical music and the Starter edition already show the album art, the main feature of interest is playing BBC AAC streams which I think needs Minimstreamer.

As a complete newbie who need to know understand all I'm doing before I start, I'm confused by the linked MinimRadio page....

Step 2 - where on the NAS do I create the BBC Radio folder
Step 3 - do I put the BBC Radio.m3ufile in this folder
Steps 4&5 - both 'this page' links give a 404 error
Step 8 - I don't understand what the 'internet radio' is, why URLs need to be individually entered and why the contents of the BBC Radio.m3u are not automatically accessed and presented to my control app in the same way as music is shown, just like Sonos does.
Step 9 - where does the 'selection' take place?

Thanks in advance for your advice...TomP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2022, 17:32
RE: Confused about MinimStreamer install / operation
Thanks for letting me know about the broken links. I will fix these,

It sounds like you are trying to follow the instructions for an internet radio (minimradio.com). For examples of such devices, type internet radio into Google. These instructions don't apply if you are using a UPnP renderer. What device (music player) do you want to use to play the BBC streams?

There is another page with instructions for using a UPnP renderer to play these streams. These instructions could be misleading because they assume you don't already have MinimServer installed.

I will create a new page with instructions for adding BBC radio streams to an existing working installation of MinimServer. As I understand it, this is your situation. I will post back here when the new page is available.
14-01-2022, 20:42
(14-01-2022 17:32)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for letting me know about the broken links. I will fix these,

It sounds like you are trying to follow the instructions for an internet radio (minimradio.com). For examples of such devices, type internet radio into Google. These instructions don't apply if you are using a UPnP renderer. What device (music player) do you want to use to play the BBC streams?

There is another page with instructions for using a UPnP renderer to play these streams. These instructions could be misleading because they assume you don't already have MinimServer installed.

I will create a new page with instructions for adding BBC radio streams to an existing working installation of MinimServer. As I understand it, this is your situation. I will post back here when the new page is available.
Thanks Simon,

I have a Linn Majik DS with SPDIF output to Cyrus pre-DAC and Ethernet to G-bit switch that connects to Minimserver on QNAP TS253A and home wired network.

I also have a second MinimServer on QNAP TS251B with its local switch to Sonos and linked to my home network

I still use Linn Kinsky (or Sonos 1) as the control point on my android phone, but will probably soon move to Bubblegum, although suggestions for better alternatives would be welcome.

I want to be able to be able to play BBC stations from a new control point simply by selecting Radio stations > station list as well as Music Library > Artist >albums list. This will obsolete my Cyrus DAB tuner.

Look forward to your updated instructions

PS: Am I right that I need a Licence update to do this?
14-01-2022, 22:09
The updated page is available now. If you have any questions after reading this, please post back here.