Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JAVA restart necessary to fix inactive Minimserver?
01-06-2013, 11:54 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 14:13 by hvaleton.)
JAVA restart necessary to fix inactive Minimserver?
Hi Simon,

The strangest thing happened today: I could not 'see' the Minimserver from any of my control points. I looked at the (verbose) logging and could not find anything out of the ordinary. Then I restarted MinimServer on my Qnap and it gave no error (neither on the Qnap QPKG centre page nor in the logging file) but still it was invisible to the AP's and the icon on my PC remained grey.Confused
Then I restarted the Java on my Qnap via the QPKG page: still a grey icon.Angry
Lastly, I restarted MinimServer again and then the icon turned via yellow to the familiar green again.Smile
This is the first time this happened to me. Perhaps it is a known bug that such a thing happens at certain intervals?
Does it have anything to do with:
"Fix QNAP startup crash ("Java heap space" message and/or grey icon problem) "
that I read in the 0.52 release notes?
Of course I'm just guessing here, but I'd like to be able to put my finger on it.Confused

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work on your amazing software!

regards, Hans Valeton
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 15:17
RE: JAVA restart necessary to fix inactive Minimserver?
(01-06-2013 11:54)hvaleton Wrote:  Hi Simon,

The strangest thing happened today: I could not 'see' the Minimserver from any of my control points. I looked at the (verbose) logging and could not find anything out of the ordinary. Then I restarted MinimServer on my Qnap and it gave no error (neither on the Qnap QPKG centre page nor in the logging file) but still it was invisible to the AP's and the icon on my PC remained grey.Confused
Then I restarted the Java on my Qnap via the QPKG page: still a grey icon.Angry
Lastly, I restarted MinimServer again and then the icon turned via yellow to the familiar green again.Smile
This is the first time this happened to me. Perhaps it is a known bug that such a thing happens at certain intervals?
Does it have anything to do with:
"Fix QNAP startup crash ("Java heap space" message and/or grey icon problem) "
that I read in the 0.52 release notes?
Of course I'm just guessing here, but I'd like to be able to put my finger on it.Confused

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work on your amazing software!

regards, Hans Valeton
Thanks

The 0.52 problem was fixed a long time ago, so that's not related to this problem.

Stopping and restarting Java shouldn't make any dfference, and isn't recommended. Stopping Java just removes some symbolic links, and restarting Java creates these links again.

The best thing to do if you have a problem like this is to disable MinimServer from the QNAP QPKG Center. Doing this automatically creates a diagnostic file containing various useful information. This file is named minimserver-diag.tar.gz and is located in the Public share of the QNAP. Please attach this file to a forum post here, and I'll take a look at it.

This file should have been created when you stopped and restarted MinimServer the first time after the original problem. When you stopped and restarted MinimServer for the second time, this file would have been overwritten by a second copy, overwriting the diagnostic information that was in the first copy. Without stopping MinimServer first, please attach the current version of this file (the second copy) to a forum post, and I'll look at it to see if it contains any clues.
01-06-2013, 15:35 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 15:46 by hvaleton.)
(01-06-2013 15:17)simoncn Wrote:  The 0.52 problem was fixed a long time ago, so that's not related to this problem.

Stopping and restarting Java shouldn't make any dfference, and isn't recommended. Stopping Java just removes some symbolic links, and restarting Java creates these links again.

The best thing to do if you have a problem like this is to disable MinimServer from the QNAP QPKG Center. Doing this automatically creates a diagnostic file containing various useful information. This file is named minimserver-diag.tar.gz and is located in the Public share of the QNAP. Please attach this file to a forum post here, and I'll take a look at it.

This file should have been created when you stopped and restarted MinimServer the first time after the original problem. When you stopped and restarted MinimServer for the second time, this file would have been overwritten by a second copy, overwriting the diagnostic information that was in the first copy. Without stopping MinimServer first, please attach the current version of this file (the second copy) to a forum post, and I'll look at it to see if it contains any clues.

Hi Simon,

I found the minimserver-diag.tar.gz file and its size is about 15MB and so I can't attach it to this post. I just tried and got a warning that it was too big. Strange, because in the User Control Panel of this forum it says that the attachment quota is unlimited.
Please advise!

Thanks in advance,

Hans
01-06-2013, 15:51 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 15:53 by hvaleton.)
Hi Simon,

This time I'll try and attach some files that are in the "tmp" subfolder.

Edit: I can't see any attachments with this post. Perhaps you are the only one that can see them? Or did I do something wrong, or am I overlooking something?

Hans
01-06-2013, 15:55 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 15:55 by hvaleton.)
Hi Simon,

Here follows the contents of the minimserver-sh.log:

Sat 20 Apr 23:52:31 info: minimserver.sh called by 1526
Sat 20 Apr 23:52:31 info: starting
Sat 20 Apr 23:52:31 info: starting MinimServer
Sat 20 Apr 23:52:31 info: started process 12105
Wed 15 May 22:39:56 info: minimserver.sh called by 10849
Wed 15 May 22:39:56 info: stopping
Wed 15 May 22:39:56 info: killing process 12105
Wed 15 May 22:40:52 info: minimserver.sh called by 10849
Wed 15 May 22:40:52 info: starting
Wed 15 May 22:40:52 info: starting MinimServer
Wed 15 May 22:40:52 info: started process 11345
Sat 01 Jun 11:47:51 info: minimserver.sh called by 12127
Sat 01 Jun 11:47:51 info: stopping
Sat 01 Jun 11:47:51 info: killing process 11345
Sat 01 Jun 11:48:06 info: minimserver.sh called by 12234
Sat 01 Jun 11:48:06 info: Another instance of minimserver.sh is running
Sat 01 Jun 12:33:57 info: minimserver.sh called by 30626
Sat 01 Jun 12:33:57 info: stopping
Sat 01 Jun 12:33:57 info: process not running

This last entry is strange, because MinimServer is up and runnung at this moment...

Hans
01-06-2013, 15:59 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 16:00 by hvaleton.)
Hi Simon,

The last few entries of the minimserver-out-11345.log (last change date: 31-05-2013, 17:01) follow hereafter.
There is also a minimserver-out-12105.log with last change date 15-05-2013, 22:39 so I assume that one is not relevant. I think I upgraded from 0.71 to 0.72 on the fifteenth of may.

MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
java: Os/Posix/Os.c:639: CreateHandle: Assertion `aSocket >= 0 && aSocket < 1024' failed.

Perhaps the Java error in this last entry gives you a clue?

Hans
01-06-2013, 17:58
(01-06-2013 15:59)hvaleton Wrote:  Hi Simon,

The last few entries of the minimserver-out-11345.log (last change date: 31-05-2013, 17:01) follow hereafter.
There is also a minimserver-out-12105.log with last change date 15-05-2013, 22:39 so I assume that one is not relevant. I think I upgraded from 0.71 to 0.72 on the fifteenth of may.

MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
stopping MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is stopped
starting MinimWeileton
MinimWeileton is running
java: Os/Posix/Os.c:639: CreateHandle: Assertion `aSocket >= 0 && aSocket < 1024' failed.

Perhaps the Java error in this last entry gives you a clue?

Hans

It's actually an ohNet error message. (java is the name of the executable.)

This does provide a useful clue. It appears that the MinimServer process on the QNAP has reached the default Linux limit of 1024 file descriptors.
If the same MinimServer process has been running for some weeks, it's possible that it's doing something that is "leaking" file descriptors.

You can use the command

lsof -p <pid>

to see what descriptors are open for process ID <pid>.

If you get an error message "cannot execute binary file" from lsof, you need to install the ipkg version of lsof and use that instead:

/opt/sbin/lsof -p <pid>

You can find the current <pid> value for the MinimServer process by running 'ps' or by looking in the /tmp/minimserver-sh.log file.
02-06-2013, 11:37 (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 11:38 by hvaleton.)
(01-06-2013 17:58)simoncn Wrote:  It's actually an ohNet error message. (java is the name of the executable.)

This does provide a useful clue. It appears that the MinimServer process on the QNAP has reached the default Linux limit of 1024 file descriptors.
If the same MinimServer process has been running for some weeks, it's possible that it's doing something that is "leaking" file descriptors.

You can use the command

lsof -p <pid>

to see what descriptors are open for process ID <pid>.

If you get an error message "cannot execute binary file" from lsof, you need to install the ipkg version of lsof and use that instead:

/opt/sbin/lsof -p <pid>

You can find the current <pid> value for the MinimServer process by running 'ps' or by looking in the /tmp/minimserver-sh.log file.

Hi Simon,

I have put the lsof result into a file called lsof.txt that I'll try and attach (this time hopefully correctly (Blush) to this post.

Thanks for your time!

Hans Valeton

Attached File(s)
.txt  lsof.txt (Size: 8.41 KB / Downloads: 4)
02-06-2013, 17:17
(02-06-2013 11:37)hvaleton Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I have put the lsof result into a file called lsof.txt that I'll try and attach (this time hopefully correctly (Blush) to this post.

Thanks for your time!

Hans Valeton

Thanks! I got this attachment, and it shows there are 80 file and socket descriptors. Please run MinimServer for a few days and check this again to see whether the number of descriptors has increased significantly.
02-06-2013, 17:21 (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 19:08 by hvaleton.)
(02-06-2013 17:17)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks! I got this attachment, and it shows there are 80 file and socket descriptors. Please run MinimServer for a few days and check this again to see whether the number of descriptors has increased significantly.

OK, Will do!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)