Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cambridge CXN V2 functionality?
06-06-2021, 12:25
RE: Cambridge CXN V2 functionality?
Simon, I've just realised - the .m3u file was download 3 years ago from your website in the MinimStreamer section (Playing BBC MPEG-DASH and HLS radio streams on a UPnP renderer) and set up on my NAS following your instructions.

I remember using it to record some experimental FLAC streams from the BBC Proms that year and having "fun" with FFmpeg to get them into a playable container.

JohnT
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2021, 17:41
Thanks for posting the file. I asked about this because there have been different versions of this file over the years. The version you have is the latest, with a stream type and sample rate for each entry. Older versions of the file without the stream type might not work, depending on the control point and renderer.
07-06-2021, 07:32
(05-06-2021 18:38)JohnT Wrote:  This is not the case. I'm not sure about the previous CXN streamer, but the CXNv2 (and presumably the premium Edge series) most certainly can stream from Minim Server. However, I normally use the inbuilt functionality in the android apps (the older Cambridge Connect app and the current StreamMagic app) where you can create shortcuts to your favourite stations.

In order to stream internet radio via MinimServer, this requires an m3U file containing the URLs of the streams to be present in your MinimServer folder structure.

To play radio streams via minim server, I created a new content directory called ‘BBC Radio’ containing the m3u file and a jpg image of the radio station logo. Using either app, a new folder named “1 playlist” appears in the initial list of search options. Selecting this allows you to browse and select a radio station to play.

Hope this helps.

I am glad to hear that the latest models CA streamers indeed support streaming radiostreams served by MinimServer.
Next thing the CA developers should focus on is to redesign the new StreamMagic app and get rid off the very tiny artwork.
09-06-2021, 10:35
(02-06-2021 16:26)JohnT Wrote:  Yes, the CXNv2 is really gapless. FLAC is my default format but m4a and others including hi-res formats are also supported – see the Cambridge Audio website.

At the time I was considering upgrading to the v2 model, my local Richer Sounds were very helpful and said I could buy a v2, try it out for a few days and could return it for a refund if it wasn’t suitable.

John

As suggested by @JohnT, I approached my local Richer Sounds, who were very amenable to a trial loan of their shop model CXNv2, on which I have carried out some preliminary tests. First impressions:-

The Good News.
- The analogue-out sound quality was very impressive and a big improvement on my existing setup, which is really a reflection of my existing DAC, not a digital issue.
- I did manage to play Internet radio, including BBC, from MinimStreamer, using the attached playlist. I can't vouch for all the stations but my regulars worked - R3, R4, KUVO, Verulam. I only managed this by either using the StreamMagic app, or by using the Windows control point UPPlay. Attempts to use BubbleUPnP, or the Bubble OpenHome server for radio were not successful.
- ALAC files (with a .m4a extension) play truly gaplessly.

The Bad News.
- Serious: m4a files containing lossy aac data play, but every track suffers from a small stutter within the first 5 seconds of starting. In addition, the gapless functionality is not good - there is an audible discontinuity at the transition. You can hear the join. Combined with the stutter, it means that albums with continuous playing music across track boundaries sound very bad. This is a deal breaker for me, and I have referred it to Cambridge Audio for their comments.
- Annoying: UPnP seems to be implemented in a minimalist way, and I'm not sure it is following all the rules. CA really want you to use their app, and I would say probably most CXN users do this. BubbleUPnP and UPPlay work in ways inconsistent with other renderers (well, upmpdcli on a Pi, anyway). I am having trouble getting the BubbleUPnP server to emulate OpenHome well, so that I can use multiple control points on different platforms. There are lots of detailed niggles I could report, but they may be fixable with some help from the developers of these 3rd party software products.

Jury still out at the moment.

Simon - did you want me to carry out some MinimStreamer testing, while I have the kit?
Marmite

Attached File(s)
.m3u  _Radio.m3u (Size: 3.57 KB / Downloads: 3)

Server :: RaspberryPi3B+>Minimserver 2
Control : Android>BubbleUPnP / W10>Upplay / W10>Kazoo / iPhone>Kazoo
Renderer: BubbleUPnP Server>Cambridge Audio CXN V2
09-06-2021, 16:30 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021 21:56 by Peter StreamMagic.)
Quote:The analogue-out sound quality was very impressive and a big improvement on my existing setup, which is really a reflection of my existing DAC, not a digital issue.

Hello Marmite,

Is it possible to use the CXN as an USB-DAC and use your original setup?
This to find out if it is only the DAC that causes the sound improvement or the streamer as a complete unit.
09-06-2021, 17:07
(09-06-2021 16:30)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Hello Marmite,

Is it possible to use the CXN as an USB-DAC and use your original setup?
This to find out if it is only the DAC that causes the sound improvement or the streamer as a complete unit.

I am trying that very option out right now. It works very well with the Pi USB output as a DAC input to the CXN and gives very good sound quality. However, the CXN probably isn't such a good proposition as a replacement DAC for £800. I really wanted to dispense with the Pi/DAC combo and replace them with a network streamer/DAC which would do the same job, without maintaining expertise and faffing about in Linux.

Seems like if you want good UPnP/OpenHome functionality you need to either faff about with Pi/Linux or pay a fortune for Linn gear. I am also attracted by the CXN Chromecast Built-In for those situations where the source can't be channelled through UPnP (e.g. shared Plex libraries, audio from Chrome on a PC).

Still under review.
Marmite

09-06-2021, 18:39 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021 21:59 by Peter StreamMagic.)
Quote:Seems like if you want good UPnP/OpenHome functionality you need to either faff about with Pi/Linux or pay a fortune for Linn gear.

The Volumio Primo might be worth a try
09-06-2021, 20:06 (This post was last modified: 09-06-2021 21:24 by Peter StreamMagic.)
The Volumio Primo might be worth a try

Or the Sonore Ultra Rendu/Tone Dac combination
09-06-2021, 20:14
(09-06-2021 10:35)MarmiteSandwich Wrote:  Simon - did you want me to carry out some MinimStreamer testing, while I have the kit?
Marmite

Thanks for this and for your detailed comments. Your _Radio.m3u file is lacking stream audio information and this might be why you couldn't play some radio streams using BubbleUPnP. Please try this with the BBC Radio DASH.m3u file that JohnT attached to this post. Many thanks.
09-06-2021, 21:32
(09-06-2021 20:14)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this and for your detailed comments. Your _Radio.m3u file is lacking stream audio information and this might be why you couldn't play some radio streams using BubbleUPnP. Please try this with the BBC Radio DASH.m3u file that JohnT attached to this post. Many thanks.

I have updated the m3u file for a couple of radio stations (BBC and other), and this did in fact fix the streaming to the CXN via BubbleUPnP Server. Many thanks. Again.
Marmite.