Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album Artist versus Artist
27-11-2020, 18:19
Album Artist versus Artist
Hi folks. I'm trying to do something simple but can't quite get it to work. I would like to use both Album Artist and Artist as search criteria in MinimServer.

Album Artist in my definition is the band who released the album.

Artist is what I call Track Artist and they are the band who performed the song. So for example on a Rolling Stones album, the Rolling Stones are the Album Artist as well as the Track Artist for every song.

For compilations I use "Various Artists" as the generic name of the Album Artist and the name of the band performing each song as Track Artist.

What's happening is that when I search Track Artists I am not seeing the entries in the compilations. For instance, the Rolling stones have a song on a few compilations but those albums/songs are not showing under the Rolling Stones track artist view.

For Index Tags I use AlbumArtist:Album Artist, Artist:Track Artist

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2020, 18:57
RE: Album Artist versus Artist
To do what you want, you should use All Artists:Track Artist.

Using AlbumArtist:Album Artist is fine if all your albums have an AlbumArtist tag.

The Artist index shows the album artist if there is one and the track artist(s) otherwise.
27-11-2020, 20:32
Thank you Simon. Your suggestion worked. I have 2 follow up questions:

1. I had to edit my alphaGroup. It previously had "AlbumArtist=125,Artist=125" but I got an error because of the Artist=125. How do I change the alphaGroup such that selecting Track Artist will not just give me a long list of every track artist?

2. When selecting Track Artist I am seeing not only the albums by the band but also the individual songs taken from compilations. Perfect. However, these tracks on compilations are appearing after the albums instead of chronologically. For example, the 10 Rolling Stones albums are should chronologically and then it lists 3 or so tracks from compilations regardless of the date of the compilation. I am using folder.sortTags={Artist,Album,Date,Tracknumber,Title} and Album.sortTags={Artist,+Date,Album}

Thanks
Mike
28-11-2020, 01:58
I'm not sure why Artist=125 gave an error. It is working for me. You would get this error if you had deleted Artist from indexTags.

With your new setting of All Artists:Track Artist, you should specify:
AlbumArtist=125, All Artists=125

Please post a screenshot of the page that has an unexpected sort order of albums and tracks.
28-11-2020, 17:44
Simon, The alphaGroup issue is solved. Thank you. Not sure if I mistyped or what.

The sort order problem remains. I've attached a screen shot of the MinimServer Properties as well a screen shot of Linn Kazoo drilling down to Track Artist / David Bryne. The entries which are out of chronological order are albums where the Album Artist is "Various Artists" but contain at least one David Bryne track as the "Track Artist".

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

28-11-2020, 19:13
I think this is because of your setting Album.sortTags={Artist,+Date,Album}. For the compilation albums, the "Artist" for the album is Various Artists, so it is sorted as V which comes after D. Because you have put Artist before +Date, the Artist value takes priority for sorting.
28-11-2020, 23:20
Perfect. Thank you Simon.
04-10-2021, 21:38
As I want to have every artist in one folder, I do not use the Album Artist tag in the files.
By use of MP3 Tag tool, I split several Artists.
In the view I do not use the All Artist tag.
So I have every artist and I do not need to look in several locations and can navigate straight forward.