Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Index Artwork
18-03-2021, 23:06
RE: Index Artwork
(15-03-2021 19:22)tarnkappe Wrote:  The only question ist how to find out the correct names if you cannot use the displayed names. I guess they are mentioned in the manual pages?

This is an excellent question. I could add the English names to the manual pages but I doubt this would be much help to a non-English speaker who finds the manual too difficult to read. (There are many comments on the forum to this effect.)

I am trying to make MinimServer simpler and more intuitive to use. Requiring a non-English speaker to find the English translation of what is displayed on their screen is not consistent with this objective.

Given the preference expressed in this thread for English names (presumably from people who speak good English), I think the best solution is to support both the English names and the displayed translated names.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2021, 15:21
Hi Simon & amazing community members,

Apologies if I have missed this somewhere in the thread (but I must admit I got a bit lost along the way!) but can you please tell me if there is a way to set indexArtwork=auto but to exclude certain levels? Personally I don't find it that elegant to see random album art images on the "Genre" or "Items" level for example, and would rather leave some levels blank.

The only way I have worked out to only have artwork shown for Artists only (and albums & tracks of course) is to create the aforementioned indexArtwork folder and place specific image files in there and add: indexArtwork=folder

Like I say I have probably missed something obvious, so I apologise in advance if that is the case.

P.S. Minimserver 2 = Awesomeness turned up to 11.
06-07-2021, 15:42
Do you want to omit random artwork from the "n items" and "Genre" index entries or from individual index entries underneath these such as the Rock, Pop or Classical entries?

If it is the first of these, you can set indexArtwork=all and create files named items.jpg, Genre.jpg, etc. in the indexArtwork folder. These images can be some generic image of your choosing.

If it is the second of these, "auto" artwork is selected for index tags (such as Artist, Genre and Composer) by looking at the current selection and choosing artwork from an item in the selection that matches the index tag. This works in exactly the same way for all index tags, so (for example) the index entry for the Classical genre will show artwork from some item in the current selection with the tag GENRE=Classical.

This is how the "auto" artwork you see for artists is chosen. There is no special treatment for the Artist tag. It is not possible to enable "auto" artwork for some tags and disable it for other tags.
06-07-2021, 16:17
(06-07-2021 15:42)simoncn Wrote:  Do you want to omit random artwork from the "n items" and "Genre" index entries or from individual index entries underneath these such as the Rock, Pop or Classical entries?

If it is the first of these, you can set indexArtwork=all and create files named items.jpg, Genre.jpg, etc. in the indexArtwork folder. These images can be some generic image of your choosing.

If it is the second of these, "auto" artwork is selected for index tags (such as Artist, Genre and Composer) by looking at the current selection and choosing artwork from an item in the selection that matches the index tag. This works in exactly the same way for all index tags, so (for example) the index entry for the Classical genre will show artwork from some item in the current selection with the tag GENRE=Classical.

This is how the "auto" artwork you see for artists is chosen. There is no special treatment for the Artist tag. It is not possible to enable "auto" artwork for some tags and disable it for other tags.
Many thanks for the response.
It is kind of the first option I am looking for.
If I understand correctly: when anything is set to "auto" one is powerless to stop the selection looking for tags (it's auto after all) so I should avoid that option.
So I should probably set indexArtwork=all and create blank (or generic) artwork for the genres and items etc.
I will give that a go.
Many thanks!
27-07-2021, 20:43
I too think that the auto option is presenting artwork in settings where it does not make sense, but appreciate upstream artwork is fairly new for Minimserver. E.g. at the root level of browsing, I would not expect to see artwork for all genres, all artists etc. Asset handles this by using icons designed for each category, and then when you drill down, you start to see artwork that can help with navigation (e.g. a cover from a jazz album for the jazz genre etc). But you don’t see a random cover at the genre root level, which I think is a sensible design choice.
27-07-2021, 20:55
The image at the root level of Genre (etc.) is not random. It is the image for the first genre in your list of genres, which in turn is the image for the first item in this genre.

This scheme was chosen to provide stable root images that have a good chance of being different for most of the root containers.

If you want to see your own image here, you can put a Genre.jpg file in your indexArtwork folder.
01-08-2021, 14:02 (This post was last modified: 01-08-2021 14:03 by kennurnes.)
Very Nice! This trial turns out even better. So get that by using indexArtwork=folder I would just place the Artist images (for example 'Depeche Mode.jpg') in /indexArtwork and MimeServers2 picks it up. While seeing this being discussed but not clear if it's possible, if I would to place the Artist image directly under the Artist folder (/Music/Depeche Mode/...) were the Albums are kept - would these images be picked up without using indexArtwork=auto or is this possible to be tweaked to act like this?
01-08-2021, 18:23
The indexArtwork=auto option displays an album cover from an album by the artist, not an artist image. To display an artist image, you need to place this in the indexArtwork folder and use indexArtwork=folder.

MinimServer does not search your Depeche Mode folder for a file named Depeche Mode.jpg. It would be difficult to do this because it would require MinimServer to make assumptions about the structure of your library and how you are using artist folders.
01-08-2021, 21:22
(01-08-2021 18:23)simoncn Wrote:  The indexArtwork=auto option displays an album cover from an album by the artist, not an artist image. To display an artist image, you need to place this in the indexArtwork folder and use indexArtwork=folder.

MinimServer does not search your Depeche Mode folder for a file named Depeche Mode.jpg. It would be difficult to do this because it would require MinimServer to make assumptions about the structure of your library and how you are using artist folders.

What you suggest is what I'm trying out and was more of if it was possible to have the Artist image in the appropriate artist folder. Works out for with the current settings and was more of 'nice to have' feature.
04-06-2022, 12:34 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2022 12:52 by DavidHB.)
[Post transferred to a new thread in the General forum]