Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having issues with aliasTags and CUSTOM tags
13-07-2021, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 19-07-2021 10:44 by simoncn.)
RE: Having issues with aliasTags and CUSTOM tags
This change was implemented and released in update 189. It looks like I omitted to mention it in the release notes. I will fix this soon.

I have confirmed that the change works with your test file on update 193. The issue you are seeing is likely to be caused by a cached value from the previous implementation. To rebuild the MinimServer cache, do the following:

1) Set the startupScan property to full
2) Do a MinimServer rescan
3) Set the startupScan property back to true

Edit: I checked the release notes. This was released in update 188 (with a release note), not in update 189.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2021, 10:10
Hi Simon thanks for the response.

It seems this still isn't working for MP3s tagged in MediaMonkey because although MP3tag says the tag is called
COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM1
If you open one of the files in notepad you can see the tag is actually called
XXXSongs-DB_Custom1

I know you said you would go with the MP3tag / foobar standard but would it be possible to link (or whatever the correct terminology may be!) the latter tag to the former tag please? Otherwise the five Custom tags in MediaMonkey are functionally useless for MP3s with MinimServer. Given MediaMonkey's general "power" I would expect a lot of the MinimServer userbase use it.

Would be great if you could consider this please.

Thanks again - Ed
14-07-2021, 14:45
(14-07-2021 10:10)edj Wrote:  It seems this still isn't working for MP3s tagged in MediaMonkey ...

I suppose it will not be helpful to you to know that I have successfully applied the suggested aliasTags value and added CUSTOM4 to the indexTags list and have the appropriate tag values be displayed.

(14-07-2021 10:10)edj Wrote:  If you open one of the files in notepad you can see the tag is actually called
XXXSongs-DB_Custom1

I know you said you would go with the MP3tag / foobar standard but would it be possible to link (or whatever the correct terminology may be!) the latter tag to the former tag please?

I believe the change made by Simon was to do what you describe, i.e. map XXXSongs-DB_Custom4 --> COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4

Rather than refer to the notepad content, may I suggest that you enable the Minimserver writeAllTags property. Once another rescan is performed, the resultant file will contain all the tags and their values. These tag names are the ones recognised by Minimserver in indexTags, itemTags etc.

My file shows
- COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4 for mp3 files
- CUSTOM4 for flac files
14-07-2021, 19:13 (This post was last modified: 14-07-2021 19:13 by edj.)

I'm not sure I follow to be honest.

(14-07-2021 14:45)Alandbush Wrote:  
(14-07-2021 10:10)edj Wrote:  It seems this still isn't working for MP3s tagged in MediaMonkey ...

I suppose it will not be helpful to you to know that I have successfully applied the suggested aliasTags value and added CUSTOM4 to the indexTags list and have the appropriate tag values be displayed.

Did you make this change to an MP3 file in MediaMonkey using the Custom 4 field in the Classification tab of the track properties? And then Minimserver picked it up?

(14-07-2021 14:45)Alandbush Wrote:  Rather than refer to the notepad content, may I suggest that you enable the Minimserver writeAllTags property. Once another rescan is performed, the resultant file will contain all the tags and their values. These tag names are the ones recognised by Minimserver in indexTags, itemTags etc.

I do not really know how to use writeAlltags or if it is relevant for this purpose... I set it to "true" and restarted MS. All that happened was that MS took ages to restart. I also can't see a file called "true" on my server (DSM/synology) which i now understand is supposed to happen. Custom 4 still not being read from MP3 files tagged in MM.

(14-07-2021 14:45)Alandbush Wrote:  My file shows
- COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4 for mp3 files
- CUSTOM4 for flac files

Same here in MP3 tag. But not in notepad/hex editor.
15-07-2021, 12:59
Your writeAlltags setting should have created a file named "true" in the MinimServer/appData folder on your Synology NAS.

Using a hex editor to look at tags requires detailed knowledege of the tag metadata file format. For the COMM frame in ID3v2.3, you can find this information in this section.

From this, you can see that the XXX you are seeing in Notepad corresponds to the "Language" field. This field is not used when mapping the COMM frame. The COMM frame is mapped to a tag whose name is the string "COMMENT" followed by a space and the "Short content description" field. In your case, the "Short content description" field has the value "SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4", giving a tag name of "COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4".

You can add this tag name to indexTags to verify that this tag is present in your MP3 files or you can look at the output of writeAllTags as suggested by Alandbush.

If you prefer to view this tag name as CUSTOM4 for your MP3 files, you can set the aliasTags property to:

COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM4:CUSTOM4