Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch & Server on Qnap
28-04-2012, 12:09 (This post was last modified: 28-04-2012 12:26 by Greybeard.)
MinimWatch & Server on Qnap
Hi!

I installed the server on my Qnap 419P+ and it runs well.
But I have a problem, which I don't understand.

MinimWatch won't work, when started from disc. When I start it out of the dmg, it needs some time (about three or four minutes), but mostly (not always) connects to the server.
Since my music library is work in progress (editing the tags, deleting doubles, adding new music, etc), I have to restart the server a few times to get it re-read the library.

Can I do something to a) to accelerate proceedings and b) get it work from the applications directory?

And are there plans to make the server able to observe directories by itself?

EDIT:
I deactivated the firewall. And: It works. - So although the firewall asks, if I want to allow incoming traffic for this app (MinimWatch), it doesn't seem to work? What do I have to write in my firewall to allow this?
My hard and software:
Lion 10.7.3
Qnap 419P+, Firmware 3.6.1 0302T
Jre 7

Thanks for any advice!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2012, 14:57
RE: MinimWatch & Server on Qnap
(28-04-2012 12:09)Greybeard Wrote:  Hi!

I installed the server on my Qnap 419P+ and it runs well.
But I have a problem, which I don't understand.

MinimWatch won't work, when started from disc. When I start it out of the dmg, it needs some time (about three or four minutes), but mostly (not always) connects to the server.
Since my music library is work in progress (editing the tags, deleting doubles, adding new music, etc), I have to restart the server a few times to get it re-read the library.

Can I do something to a) to accelerate proceedings and b) get it work from the applications directory?

And are there plans to make the server able to observe directories by itself?

EDIT:
I deactivated the firewall. And: It works. - So although the firewall asks, if I want to allow incoming traffic for this app (MinimWatch), it doesn't seem to work? What do I have to write in my firewall to allow this?
My hard and software:
Lion 10.7.3
Qnap 419P+, Firmware 3.6.1 0302T
Jre 7

Thanks for any advice!

I'm aware of the firewall problem. To solve this, I need to sign the application with a digital certificate. This is on my list of things to investigate for the next release.

I've had other requests for the server to observe changes to directories without needing to be restarted. It's not easy to do this because of the way that MinimServer is designed and implemented. I'd like to add this at some stage, but it would need quite a lot of work and I don't think I'll be able to do this in the near future.

MinimServer and MinimWatch should work when launched either from the dmg file or from the applications directory.
28-04-2012, 19:24
Hi Simon!

Thanks for the fast reply (and of course for the software!) Smile

(28-04-2012 14:57)simoncn Wrote:  I'm aware of the firewall problem. To solve this, I need to sign the application with a digital certificate. This is on my list of things to investigate for the next release.

Unfortunately it doesn't help to insert MinimWatch into the "allowed-section" in Lion. The FW asks for permission and won't let MiniWatch work.
For example: I have jDownloader in this allowed-list. It passes the FW without problems. -- Couldn't say, that they have a digital certificate? My FW just asked once to allow, and thats it.
It's just meant as hint for you. Maybe it helps.

Quote:I've had other requests for the server to observe changes to directories without needing to be restarted. It's not easy to do this because of the way that MinimServer is designed and implemented. I'd like to add this at some stage, but it would need quite a lot of work and I don't think I'll be able to do this in the near future.

MinimServer and MinimWatch should work when launched either from the dmg file or from the applications directory.

Well, we will survive this. Smile
I have really no clue, how to do this. -- On my Qnap was twonky installed. And I asked, because it has this function.

Anyway, it is ok and not really a problem to press the restart button.
Thanks again for your work!
28-04-2012, 19:58
(28-04-2012 19:24)Greybeard Wrote:  Unfortunately it doesn't help to insert MinimWatch into the "allowed-section" in Lion. The FW asks for permission and won't let MiniWatch work.
For example: I have jDownloader in this allowed-list. It passes the FW without problems. -- Couldn't say, that they have a digital certificate? My FW just asked once to allow, and thats it.
It's just meant as hint for you. Maybe it helps.

I think this means that jDownloader has been signed with a digital certificate. I'll look into this in the next few days and post back when I have a solution or more information.

Quote:Well, we will survive this. Smile
I have really no clue, how to do this. -- On my Qnap was twonky installed. And I asked, because it has this function.

Anyway, it is ok and not really a problem to press the restart button.
Thanks again for your work!

This will be much easier when MinimWatch is working properly for you. You'll be able to start some music playing and then select Restart on MinimWatch. MinimServer will rescan your files while the music continues to play. Smile