Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEOS app question
28-07-2020, 19:48
HEOS app question
First let me say I am impressed with MinimServer. It's running on my Synology NAS, serving my Marantz PM7000N. Works really excellent!

Just a quick question about compilation albums and the track artist. When I leave the Album Artist blank (instead of i.e. ' Various Artists') the track artist is displayed correctly on the display of my Marantz. But the HEOS app is doing something funny. All the individual artists are displayed above the songs, and the songs itself are left without artist.

Of course this has something to do with the app. I will write about this problem to HEOS.

Just wondering if there is some kind of work-a-round with MinimServer to fool the app. The playlist in the HEOS app shows the track title and track artist correctly btw.

Attached an example of the funny album presentation in the HEOS app and the playlist with tracks and artists which is how it should be.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2020, 20:26
RE: HEOS app question
MinimServer uses this combination of all track artists as the default value for the "artist" metadata value for the album if no albumartist is specified. If an albumartist is specified, this albumartist value is used as both the "albumartist" and "artist" metadata values for the album.

This is usually the right thing to do if the number of artists on the album is small. It looks strange if the number of artists on the album is very large.

Is there some other value that you would like MinimServer to send as the "artist" metadata value for this album? You can do this by tagging the album with this value as the albumartist.
28-07-2020, 21:43
Thanks for the quick reply. In fact everything is displaying well on my PM7000N, except for the presentation of the compilation albums in the HEOS app. I was wondering if MinimServer could solve this (by some kind of work-a-round), so the track artists are displayed together with the song title (and not cluttered above and separated from the song title). But I guess writing to HEOS support is maybe a better idea Smile I think that the information is presented well to the HEOS app by MinimServer, but not displayed well in the HEOS app.
28-07-2020, 21:45 (This post was last modified: 28-07-2020 21:47 by simoncn.)
MinimServer does send the track artist with each song. If you use a different control point, you will see that this is the case. The HEOS app is choosing not to display this track artist information.

Edit: You could use MinimServer tag formatting to combine the track artist information into the song title. This would apply for all songs, not just those in compilation albums.
29-07-2020, 10:26
That's something I could consider. I send a support request to DENON/Marantz with the same screenshots to find out how they think about it and if they are planning to do something about it. Any updates on this, I will post here as I reckon, there are more HEOS users in this forum.