Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anything be done to overcome the issue with Kazoo from the Microsoft store?
23-07-2020, 15:10
Can anything be done to overcome the issue with Kazoo from the Microsoft store?
Hi, I run two instances of MinimServer 2: one on a Synoology NAS comprising my main collection and the other on a Windows 10 PC, to manage tracks on that device. There isn’t much choice in terms of control points for Windows and my preference is to use the latest version of Linn’s Kazoo as is available from the Microsoft store. This works well with the NAS instance of MinimServer but fails to identify the one running on the PC.

I have contacted Linn about this who have advised its due to Microsoft placing restrictions on apps obtained from the Microsoft store. Linn have provided an interim workaround which consists of running the following command in an administrator command prompt:

Code:
CheckNetIsolation.exe LoopbackExempt -is -p=S-1-15-2-394520607-3260627302-2797970471-1039723481-2854670512-4208520165-603334737

While this makes the Windows instance of MinimServer visible to Kazoo, the command must be run every time I want to play music stored on the PC and the command prompt window has to remain open, neither of which is ideal.

Yes, I know that I could revert to using the now dated Kinsky, or indeed an earlier version Kazoo, which once a upon time was a normal executable. Has anybody got any other thoughts of how this issue could be overcome as I would much prefer to continue using the current version of Kazoo. Many thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2020, 15:23
RE: Can anything be done to overcome the issue with Kazoo from the Microsoft store?
Have you tried the Audionet controller:
http://en.audionet.de/apps/rcp/
I started out in 2014 controlling MinimServer with an Audionet app. I've not tried their current app as I bought an android tablet and switched to BubbleUPnP for control.

You may find this is the least-hassle option - I've never looked back.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
23-07-2020, 17:29
RE: Can anything be done to overcome the issue with Kazoo from the Microsoft store?
(23-07-2020 15:23)DavidL Wrote:  Have you tried the Audionet controller:
http://en.audionet.de/apps/rcp/
I started out in 2014 controlling MinimServer with an Audionet app. I've not tried their current app as I bought an android tablet and switched to BubbleUPnP for control.

You may find this is the least-hassle option - I've never looked back.

Thanks for the suggestion DavidL. Audionet looks good - I'll check it out, but I'm still hoping there will be a solution for Kazoo
23-07-2020, 17:31
You could run CheckNetIsolation.exe in a minimised window by using the following command:

start /MIN CheckNetIsolation.exe ....

It should also be possible to do this automatically every time you login to Windows.
31-07-2020, 10:45
(23-07-2020 17:31)simoncn Wrote:  You could run CheckNetIsolation.exe in a minimised window by using the following command:

start /MIN CheckNetIsolation.exe ....

It should also be possible to do this automatically every time you login to Windows.

Thanks for those suggestions Simoncn, which got me thinking again about this issue with Kazoo.

I've subsquently created a batch file comprising 'start /MIN CheckNetIsolation.exe ....' and run this as when I need via a task which I set up in task scheduler. (The reason for opting for this approach is because CheckNetIsolation requires UAC privileges which can easily be applied to a task by clicking the 'Run with highest privileges' check box).

Having done that, I created a shortcut to this new task on my desktop, which was was achived by right clicking on an empty spot on the desktop, selecting 'New' > 'Shortcut', then entering:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "MyTaskName"

I'm content with the outcome of this!
31-07-2020, 11:09
If I understand this correctly, you are starting the task manually as needed. It should be possible to get Task Scheduler to start it automatically when you login to Windows.