Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi disc albums
20-02-2020, 13:51
Multi disc albums
I am running minimserver on a QNAP NAS and HEOS app and HiFi Cast as control points.

I have several multi disc albums. I tag these with track numbers 1 - n on Disc 1, 1 - n on Disc 2 ... and tag the discnumbers 1, 2...

When viewing the tracks on these albums they appear correctly i.e. 1 - n (Disc 1), 1 - n (Disc 2).

Yesterday I accidentally had a few tracks on a multidisc album where the disc number tag was blank and the other tracks were tagged correctly.

When viewing the album tracks they were separated thus

>>[no disc]
track a
track b
>> Disc 1
track c
track d
etc
>> Disc 2
track n
track o
etc

This was ideal and allowed the playing of just Disc 1 or Disc 2. If I then correctly tagged the tracks with missing disc numbers the whole list then just appeared contiguously with no breaks between discs. This would be a very useful feature, is this just not working correctly or a strange bug?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2020, 14:09
RE: Multi disc albums
If you want the display with ">> Disc n" dividers for a correctly tagged album, you can add one of these suffixes to the tagged album name of each of the discs:

[Disc n]
(Disc n)
, Disc n

The album name will be shown without the suffix and you will get the display that you want. See this section for more information.
20-02-2020, 14:46
Thanks very much for your prompt reply Simon. I have tried this and it does exactly what I want. I had been hoping not to have to update tags as I have 2 identical copies of my music library, one on a NAS (accessed via minimserver) and the other on a Sony HAP-S1 (which isn't configurable as its an all-in-one unit with inbuilt hard disc and it's own server). The Sony shows multiple albums listed rather than 1 single album if I suffix album name with [Disc n].

Had been hoping that the 'feature' I had found would be able to work somehow on DISCNUMBER tag only without any incorrectly tagged tracks without the DISCNUMBER tag.

Cheers
20-02-2020, 14:57
You can use the DISCSUBTITLE tag to avoid needing to change ALBUM tags. Set this to Disc 1 for the first disc, Disc 2 for the second disc, etc. To make this simpler, you only need to set it for the first disc and MinimServer will do the rest.
20-02-2020, 17:29
Excellent Simon, that's doing exactly what I want without messing up titles elsewhere.

Thanks again.