Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange setup error
27-08-2019, 11:27
RE: Strange setup error
Only the admin group - everyone ot checked but does not everyone belong to the 'everyone' group? :-<

ps I was able to replicate the QNAP issue of rogue tasks - I just had to be more patient.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2019, 18:54 (This post was last modified: 27-08-2019 18:54 by simoncn.)
I checked and all users automatically belong to the everyone group, as you say.

I created a test user on the remote NAS with the same username as the test user on the local NAS. Strangely, these have different user numbers (500 for the remote NAS and 1000 for the local NAS). This would explain why you were seeing the copied files as owned by user 1000 on the 412 instead of user bill. This seems like an HBS3 issue that should be corrected.

I think I have tried all variations of sync and none has produced the MinimServer error message. A folder owned by "1000 everyone" can be selected by MinimServer as the content directory. If neither of us can reproduce the MinimServer error, I don't think I can take this any further.
28-08-2019, 08:35
Intersting.

412 bill 500
253 bill 1000

The same as you! So presumably when it is syncing stuff from the 253 it is looking for user 1000 but when it can't find it then it leaves the user as 1000. Not too clever.
As before do you want to report it - your knowledge of Linux is so much better then mine. But I am happy to do it if you are busy.
28-08-2019, 09:12
I don't do syncing (except for the test scenario we have been trying recently) so I think the report would be better coming from you as a "real" sync user.
28-08-2019, 10:32
OK, will do. btw I have given up on using the HBS3 syncing and I am now doing the same job using MS SyncToy which runs under win10 and seems to work OK
29-08-2019, 09:46
Simon it is not just syncing that HBS3 get's wrong, it exhibits exactly the same behaviour on a remote backup. Not surprising when you think it probably uses musc the same code.
I posted the original issue yesterday morning and I haven't had a thing back from them.