Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Here and Need Help.
11-04-2019, 14:56 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2019 15:38 by tophatjohnny1.)
New Here and Need Help.
Hello all. I just learned of this plan from a tech at Cambridge Audio. I currently have the Cambridge 851N (network player) but am going with the Edge NQ real soon. I was told by adding this sever I will see all the artwork on my Cambridge Audio Connect app
at the "Folder" stage in the app, and the Edge NQ app as well??. I own a Synology DS418+ NAS. I love the NAS and this server sounds like a good fit. Now I just need help/advice on getting it up and running in my home. Will I have to change from my Spectrum act?? Buy a new modem?? Any help will be so appreciated and bare with me as I'm not really good with tech stuff. Thanks in advance and looking forward to trying this out.

Johnny aka Tophat

I;m just unsure which download to do. It has several options for synology as talk about confusing there!! I run windows 10 on my dell laptop. If that helps to steer me?? Anyone??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2019, 18:17
RE: New Here and Need Help.
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

The instructions for installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS vary depending on the processor type of your NAS. I checked the Synology website but I don't see anything about a DS418+. Are you sure this is the correct model number?

Also, what is a Spectrum act?
11-04-2019, 22:02
(11-04-2019 18:17)simoncn Wrote:  Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

The instructions for installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS vary depending on the processor type of your NAS. I checked the Synology website but I don't see anything about a DS418+. Are you sure this is the correct model number?

Also, what is a Spectrum act?

So sorry, DS918+ (I thought 4 because 4 drives) and spectrum in my cable provider. I hope this program works for me, but I'm going to need some help for sure. Thanks and ready to go whenever I know what to do next?
11-04-2019, 23:01 (This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 20:51 by simoncn.)
The DS918+ has an Intel processor, so you need to install Java as described in this section, then install MinimServer as described in this section.

You should also install MinimWatch on your Windows 10 laptop, as described on this page.
12-04-2019, 00:37
(11-04-2019 23:01)simoncn Wrote:  The DS918+ has an Intel processor, so you need to install Java as described in this section, then install MinimServer as described in this section.

You should also install MinimWatch on your Windows 10 laptop, as described on this page.

Got The Java done and the MinimWatch, stuck on stupid with wrapping it up. This stuff isn't easy for me...dang, but I'm not giving up, just need help finishing up.
12-04-2019, 09:11
If you need help, please describe in detail what you have done and what problem you are seeing. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for others to help you.
12-04-2019, 11:37
It's what I'm not seeing.....I did the java instal from my Synology site find.synology.com installed the mimimwatch on my laptop but can't figure out how to get the minimServer on my NAS? That's where I'm stuck. That and then is there an app for my android phone to navigate through my library? Still learning this thing...bear with me please.
12-04-2019, 13:10
Hello,

MinimServer can be installed via the package management of your Synology DiskStation, see https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/p...nimServer.

Kind regards
steamfan
12-04-2019, 14:32
(12-04-2019 13:10)steamfan Wrote:  Hello,

MinimServer can be installed via the package management of your Synology DiskStation, see https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/p...nimServer.

Oh heck yeah!! I got that installed, now is there something I need to do to my android phone or will the DS Audio app know I have installed this??
12-04-2019, 14:43
Sounds great that you got MinimServer installed.

Now you need to install MinimWatch to be able to configure MinimServer. Just follow the instructions from Simons (see post #4): "You should also install MinimWatch on your Windows 10 laptop, as described on this page".

After you have done that you need to configure MinimServer (aka "tell MinimServer where to find your audio files"), maybe a starting point is here.

The DS Audio app does not recognize MinimServer. For controlling you Cambridge Audio 851N you should be able to use the "CA Connect" app.

Kind regards
steamfan