Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Hard Drive in a Melco
27-11-2021, 08:40
RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco
The disks have hidden partitions that are used by MinimServer. These hidden partitions would not be restored by copying files using normal mechanisms. It is very likely that it would be necessary to reinstall MinimServer after doing this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2021, 18:20
(21-10-2021 14:02)nfnc Wrote:  
(01-01-2020 23:02)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, that's all. I recommend formatting the new drives as spanned.

Just reviving this thread.

Do you know if the firmware stored in RAM instead of the drives?

Did you notice any improvement / deterioration in sound quality upon changing the drives?

Many thanks.

I made the change to Crucial MX500 SSDs in my N1ZH and felt there was a nice improvement.

I previously had an N1A and when I changed the drives the spinning disks just lifted out once the bolts were removed. On the N1ZH the spinning disks seemed to be attached on the rear side with a sticky pad as well as the bolts. Gentle pulling removed the spinning drives.

The change is very straightforward
08-12-2021, 14:29
Has anyone tried to go for larger discs? I've got the N1ZH with 2x3Tb, I would like to replace those with 2x4Tb SSD. Any idea if that would work?
08-12-2021, 16:25
I haven't tried this but I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't work.
27-03-2022, 10:39
(08-12-2021 14:29)jvandijk Wrote:  Has anyone tried to go for larger discs? I've got the N1ZH with 2x3Tb, I would like to replace those with 2x4Tb SSD. Any idea if that would work?

Bit late in the day to reply to your query but I've just done that with two 4Tb WD Blues in my N1A - no problems installing or formatting.
27-03-2022, 11:09
(27-03-2022 10:39)davidp Wrote:  
(08-12-2021 14:29)jvandijk Wrote:  Has anyone tried to go for larger discs? I've got the N1ZH with 2x3Tb, I would like to replace those with 2x4Tb SSD. Any idea if that would work?

Bit late in the day to reply to your query but I've just done that with two 4Tb WD Blues in my N1A - no problems installing or formatting.
Yup, same here but then two 4Tb WD Red SSDs. Working great
28-03-2022, 16:29
@davidp and @jvandijk, thanks for posting your experiences with dual 4-TB SSD drives. Do you hear any changes in sound quality (either better or worse)?

Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
28-03-2022, 19:40
Can't say that I experience any difference in the sound quality. The extra storage was very welcome, and what I also like is the fact that the Melco is now completely silent (no spinning discs anymore).
29-03-2022, 01:57
Very interesting, thanks. Forum members who replaced Melco spinning HDD's with SSD's have reported sound-quality improvements AND sound-quality setbacks. I am still running the dual stock 3-TB spinning HDD's in my N1Z Mk. 1. Given the competing reports on SSD sound quality, I have pretty much decided to keep my Melco stock unless and until there is an HDD failure.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
29-03-2022, 09:32
(28-03-2022 16:29)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  @davidp and @jvandijk, thanks for posting your experiences with dual 4-TB SSD drives. Do you hear any changes in sound quality (either better or worse)?

Thanks.

Can't say there was any difference in sound quality - however the new HDs are physically quieter than the replaced drives. I also took the opportunity to add a SilentCoat deadening panel to the inside top cover of my N1A (irrelevant for Z owners) - again the benefit was an almost completely silent Melco. I didn't hear any SQ improvements through the system.