Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
19-08-2021, 16:59 (This post was last modified: 19-08-2021 17:10 by maRtl.)
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
Hi,
i installed the inotify-tools on my DS1817+ (DSM7)without any probs.

But if i wanna install the Autorescan-1.1.spk i get the message : invalid file format, please contact the developer.

Any workarounds for this ? Or anyone have an howto to install it manually?

Or can we get a auto rescan library function itself for the minimserver2 ? I have seen the developers answered 2015 that this wanna come in future updates.
Now we have 2021 - how is it running? In my opinion a Audio Server which costs money (Full License) without an autodetection is senseless.

Dont Missunderstood me but this is an essential feature. All other things working great and i thought the last days wow its better than serviio but after realizing that i have manually rescan my whole library if i add a new cd i become really crazy.

I have over 4TB Music and everyday i add few albums so a full rescan takes a lot of time and its also not the best for my hdds. So whats the intention of the developers ?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2021, 20:27
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
Synology has made changes to how packages work in DSM 7, so it is (very unfortunately) not possible to install any package written for DSM 6 and below on DSM 7.

The technical issues with implementing automatic rescan in MiminServer are described in this post.

I understand that rescanning the whole library every time a file is added is a problem for users with large libraries. If there were a simple fix for this, it would have been implemented long before now. The third-party auto rescan package for DSM 6 doesn't solve this problem because the full library still needs to be scanned when a change is detected by inotify.

You can listen to music while the rescan is happening because MinimServer continues streaming music files that have previously been added to the playing queue. You cannot browse the library or play newly added music until the rescan is complete.

Improving this situation is an important priority but I cannot give a time estimate for when this will happen.
20-08-2021, 05:46
Hi Simon,
many thanks for the detailed answer. So if i understand all correct, autoscan is still on your todo list?

Jesus, normally im a big fan from synology diskstations but with the new dsm7 which all breaks im really pist off with these "developers"

So i looked into the package, i have seen thats there are only scripts and it should be possible to install it manually over putty.

Can you pls tell me where to put the scripts in scripts folder has to be placed and where i have to place the minimautorescan.sh

i think its something around /$bin in the root folder but i hope you can give me a detailed answer then i will try it manually.

thanks in advance
20-08-2021, 09:50
The Auto Rescan package for Synology was created by a MinimServer user. It is not part of MinimServer and I am not able to provide any support for it. I don't use it myself and I can't advise you on how to install it manually.

Improving MinimServer rescanning is on my to-do list. The first step will be to enable rescanning to work without restarting MinimServer and rebuilding its internal representation of the library. This change would make rescanning quicker and would enable MinimServer to remain accessible while a rescan is happening. This change requires a very large amount of work and I can't give any time estimate for it.

Making rescans fully automated would be a further step beyond this. There are a number of issues with making fully automated rescans work reliably with good performance and these issues would need to be investigated after the first step has been completed.