Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
03-05-2016, 13:40
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
(03-05-2016 13:09)winxi Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 12:10)tomfox Wrote:  Some process on the NAS triggered a rescan which ended at 4:40 last night (I definitely was asleep and haven’t played the specific flac files for weeks) see attached screenshot. A mystery?

The log says 00:04:40 (~5 minutes past midnight). From this log, I can not tell what did open and close these files for writing.
I'm considering to remove the 'close_write' and 'close' events from the list of events which trigger a rescan. I'll do some experiments and think about whether this can be done without having the risk of missed file changes.

OK, thanks for your answer and curious what you will find.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2016, 19:24
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
I'm trying to download inotify-tools however following the instructions on the first page all i get when i go into Community in the Package Center is Media Indexer. Can anyone help?
18-01-2018, 01:04
Hi!
I have installed the Auto Rescan package, but it doesn’t do anything. The log says:

"inotifywait: error while loading shared libraries: libinotifytools.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

There must be some problem with inotify. I couldn’t find a package to install it, so it installed it from https://github.com/rvoicilas/inotify-tools/ via command line (ipkg) which seemed to work fine. (I have installed Easy Bootstrap Installer.)

Any idea what to do?
07-10-2018, 19:04
Trying to add ''http://synology.francis-besset.com/'' to package sources, but get an invalid location error. Any other sources, please?
12-11-2019, 23:10
Hi, I am new to MinimServer.
Is it still true that MinimServer itself won't recognize new Albums and the Restart-Tool is needed?
13-11-2019, 21:49
It was true when I wrote this post yesterday and it is still true today.

The Auto Rescan package is not part of MinimServer and I am not sure whether it is still working on current versions of Synology DSM (see earlier posts describing problems with this).
18-11-2019, 12:00
It would be feasible to use the web based APIs or the command line to schedule a rescan as a cron job. Not glamorous admittedly but it should work. To be honest, I'm not sure why this is seen by some as an issue. For me, getting content on my server requires some effort: I have to use MP3tag too ensure the files are correctly tagged, including setting Compilation to 1 for such albums. I typically have to search for suitable high-res album art work and then using MP3tag embed into the FLAC files, etc. Then I need to connect to the directories that MinimServer sees via a network share, then initiate the copy. A quick access in MinimWatch to initiate a re-scan is fairly trivial. I would be interested to know how my process differs to others...

Thanks.
18-11-2019, 13:53
(18-11-2019 12:00)SoundAdikt Wrote:  It would be feasible to use the web based APIs or the command line to schedule a rescan as a cron job. Not glamorous admittedly but it should work. To be honest, I'm not sure why this is seen by some as an issue. For me, getting content on my server requires some effort: I have to use MP3tag too ensure the files are correctly tagged, including setting Compilation to 1 for such albums. I typically have to search for suitable high-res album art work and then using MP3tag embed into the FLAC files, etc. Then I need to connect to the directories that MinimServer sees via a network share, then initiate the copy. A quick access in MinimWatch to initiate a re-scan is fairly trivial. I would be interested to know how my process differs to others...

That is, as near as makes no difference, my workflow as well. So having to rescan manually is not an issue for me. In fact, it is an advantage. Rescanning with the log window open (which is my invariable practice) quickly either confirms that the new files have been indexed satisfactorily or identifies any issues I need to resolve.

David
21-11-2019, 22:28
(16-01-2015 21:31)DLNABubble Wrote:  Why in my opinion the restart may be quite annoying from time to time I will elaborate in another post.

(17-01-2015 17:13)simoncn Wrote:  In a future version of MinimServer, I am hoping to incorporate automatic detection of changes to the library without requiring a server restart. This capability would be built in to MinimServer and wouldn't require the Auto Restart package. It wouldn't rescan the whole library, just the files that have changed.

(18-11-2019 12:00)SoundAdikt Wrote:  To be honest, I'm not sure why this is seen by some as an issue.

Different users, different use cases, different workflows.
It's not an issue for some, it's just a valid use case for some and for others it isn't.

I myself do record radio broadcasts via streamripper almost on a daily basis, tagging the recordings automatically right afterwards.
Some of the tagging is done via scraping the broadcaster's program listings.

Over the past years, the collection did grow on a steady rate. Increasing MinimServer's startup time from initially two to about four minutes nowadays.

Imagine someone just being in the middle of browsing the content, searching for a show to listen to, and being kicked out all of the sudden, since the server restart was suddenly been triggered after a recording was automatically added to the library. Not only this, but minimserver is now not been listed on the DLNA-client any longer for the next few minutes.

If I was able to ask MimimServer to rescan only a certain subfolder e.g. via some REST-API, [minimserver] wouldn't disappear and the rescan would be done with within seconds.

Without restarting / rescanning, we currently would have to wait until the next day for the new recordings to appear in the DLNA-clients list (since our disk station is being shut down over night).

Either not an ideal experience.

For all, still depending on the restart package: I had another go on packaging the inotify-tools, the restart package depends on.
However, at the moment this needs to be build on your own: For details have a look at this post.
22-11-2019, 12:40
There are a number of issues here:

1) A rescan stops and restarts the MinimServer media server component, so browsing and music selection is not possible during the rescan, although music does continue to play if it was started before the rescan was initiated.

2) It is only possible to rescan the whole library, not individual folders or content directories.

3) MinimServer does not automatically detect changes to the library and automatically rescan the new or changed files.

As you have pointed out, fixing 3) without also fixing 1) and 2) would make the user experience worse, not better. My priority is therefore to start with 1) and 2) before addressing 3). Unfortunately, fixing 1) and 2) requires major changes to the design of MinimServer. I have made a start on these changes but a lot more work is needed.