Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim always scans music database
05-01-2013, 00:31 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 00:33 by George47.)
Minim always scans music database
I have got Minim working and was able to get round the first main problem by deleting the Graphic tags so as not to get an error message for most albums. But if I stop Minim working and then immediately restart it, it scans the NAS drive on the network where the music is stored yet again and takes 20 mins to get going again. I thought it only scanned for changes not restart the scans again. Have I checked a box that forces rescans evertime?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 08:16
RE: Minim always scans music database
(05-01-2013 00:31)George47 Wrote:  I have got Minim working and was able to get round the first main problem by deleting the Graphic tags so as not to get an error message for most albums. But if I stop Minim working and then immediately restart it, it scans the NAS drive on the network where the music is stored yet again and takes 20 mins to get going again. I thought it only scanned for changes not restart the scans again. Have I checked a box that forces rescans evertime?

MinimServer keeps a cache from the last scan that it did. When you restart it, it looks for any added or changed files and rescans those files. It also rescans any files that had error or warning messages in the previous scan. All other files should not be rescanned.

The cache files are kept in MinimServer's working directory. If the cache files are deleted or damaged, you'll get a complete rescan.

You can see exactly which files MinimServer is rescanning by doing the following:

1) Start MinimServer and let the initial scan finish completely
2) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
3) In the log window, change the logging level from Info to Debug
4) Leave the log window open
5) From the minim icon, select 'Restart'
6) In the log window, you should see messages about which directories MinimServer is opening and which files it is rescanning
7) You should see messages for all your directories. Opening a directory (even on a NAS drive) should be a very quick operation.
8) You should not see messages for all your files. If you are seeing messages for all your files, please press 'Save as" to save a copy of the log file, zip this file, and attach it here.
9) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info
05-01-2013, 14:52
(05-01-2013 08:16)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer keeps a cache from the last scan that it did. When you restart it, it looks for any added or changed files and rescans those files. It also rescans any files that had error or warning messages in the previous scan. All other files should not be rescanned.

The cache files are kept in MinimServer's working directory. If the cache files are deleted or damaged, you'll get a complete rescan.

You can see exactly which files MinimServer is rescanning by doing the following:

1) Start MinimServer and let the initial scan finish completely
2) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
3) In the log window, change the logging level from Info to Debug
4) Leave the log window open
5) From the minim icon, select 'Restart'
6) In the log window, you should see messages about which directories MinimServer is opening and which files it is rescanning
7) You should see messages for all your directories. Opening a directory (even on a NAS drive) should be a very quick operation.
8) You should not see messages for all your files. If you are seeing messages for all your files, please press 'Save as" to save a copy of the log file, zip this file, and attach it here.
9) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info

I did as you said and it scanned all the directories and not files. It times at 0.6 secs a directory which for about 1200 directories is about 12 mins which with a bit of 'work' amounts to 15 mins. Is that normal? I have attached the zipped file if that helps? It looks as though there are some corrupt files.

Attached File(s)
.zip  error log 2013 01 05.zip (Size: 30.41 KB / Downloads: 1)
05-01-2013, 17:28
(05-01-2013 14:52)George47 Wrote:  I did as you said and it scanned all the directories and not files. It times at 0.6 secs a directory which for about 1200 directories is about 12 mins which with a bit of 'work' amounts to 15 mins. Is that normal? I have attached the zipped file if that helps? It looks as though there are some corrupt files.

Thanks for the quick reply and for posting this log.

I've looked through the log and there are very few error and warning messages. These would have minimal impact on performance. The messages are:

Error: incorrect FLAC header 0x00000000 at offset 0 in file xxxxxx (length nnnnn)

The file is probably corrupt. Do you see it when using other music servers? Are you able to play it?

Warning: conflicting ALBUM ARTIST values ignored for album aaaaaa
first conflicting value: xxxx
first conflicting item: nnnn
second conflicting value: yyyy
second conflicting item: tttt

You've got different tracks in the same album with different values for ALBUM ARTIST. It looks like these values aren't actually album artists.

Regarding the slow performance, I'm surprised that it takes as long as 0.6 seconds per directory. What kind of NAS are you using for your music library, and what kind of computer are you using to run MinimServer?

If you're able to run MinimServer directly on your NAS, this will greatly improve the scanning speed. This would depend on what kind of NAS you have.
06-01-2013, 00:17
(05-01-2013 17:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 14:52)George47 Wrote:  I did as you said and it scanned all the directories and not files. It times at 0.6 secs a directory which for about 1200 directories is about 12 mins which with a bit of 'work' amounts to 15 mins. Is that normal? I have attached the zipped file if that helps? It looks as though there are some corrupt files.

Thanks for the quick reply and for posting this log.

I've looked through the log and there are very few error and warning messages. These would have minimal impact on performance. The messages are:

Error: incorrect FLAC header 0x00000000 at offset 0 in file xxxxxx (length nnnnn)

The file is probably corrupt. Do you see it when using other music servers? Are you able to play it?

Warning: conflicting ALBUM ARTIST values ignored for album aaaaaa
first conflicting value: xxxx
first conflicting item: nnnn
second conflicting value: yyyy
second conflicting item: tttt

You've got different tracks in the same album with different values for ALBUM ARTIST. It looks like these values aren't actually album artists.

Regarding the slow performance, I'm surprised that it takes as long as 0.6 seconds per directory. What kind of NAS are you using for your music library, and what kind of computer are you using to run MinimServer?

If you're able to run MinimServer directly on your NAS, this will greatly improve the scanning speed. This would depend on what kind of NAS you have.

OK I can check the individual files. I am using a Readnas NV+ which may not be supported. I am currently using Twonky on the server and it is fast but does some daft things,
06-01-2013, 08:20
(06-01-2013 00:17)George47 Wrote:  OK I can check the individual files. I am using a Readnas NV+ which may not be supported. I am currently using Twonky on the server and it is fast but does some daft things,

Do you know which model of ReadyNAS NV+ this is? The newer v2 model (introduced in November 2011) has an ARM processor and will be fully supported by MinimServer soon. The older v1 model has a SPARC processor and will unfortunately never be supported by MinimServer.

If you're not sure which model you have, this page will tell you.
08-01-2013, 00:51
The NAS is older than Nov 2011, which is a pity. It also can't play 24/192 without buffering so only 24/96. I'll keep this and Twonky on the NAS and use Minim for 16/44.1 and 24/96 and Twonky for everything else. Ho hum.
08-01-2013, 11:50
(08-01-2013 00:51)George47 Wrote:  The NAS is older than Nov 2011, which is a pity. It also can't play 24/192 without buffering so only 24/96. I'll keep this and Twonky on the NAS and use Minim for 16/44.1 and 24/96 and Twonky for everything else. Ho hum.

Sorry to hear that. The newer model is quite a bit faster than the older model, and it should be able to handle 24/192 transcoding with MinimServer running on the NAS. When MinimServer is available for the newer model, it might be worth considering an upgrade.
09-01-2013, 18:34
(05-01-2013 08:16)simoncn Wrote:  it looks for any added or changed files and rescans those files. It also rescans any files that had error or warning messages in the previous scan.

How often does Minim rescan directories for new files? recently I added new files and after about 15min I restarted Minim because it did not "see" them.
09-01-2013, 21:02
(09-01-2013 18:34)Alekz Wrote:  How often does Minim rescan directories for new files? recently I added new files and after about 15min I restarted Minim because it did not "see" them.

It does this every time you select Restart from the minim icon. If you have music playing, this continues to play while the restart is in progress. Smile

There's currently no automatic scanning, because of the complexity and overheads this would add to the MinimServer code. It's possible that this might be added at some point in the future, but it's not in the near-term plans.