Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New Installation - control point can't see MinimServer
07-08-2016, 20:27 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 21:23 by Glandwr.)
New Installation - control point can't see MinimServer
Hi, just installed Minimserver for the first time on a Synology 216j NAS, running DSM6, but can't see Minimserver, in Bubble, Naim or Songpal apps, only the DSM server. Followed all the instructions concerning arm7 processor and Oracle Java etc. and all went well, and have a green icon in the tray. Minimserver status says 'running'.
Router is a TalkTalk branded HG633 thing and I can't find an IGMP setting in the interface.
The NAS is ethernet cabled to the router and I have a Sony XRS9 and a Naim Unitilite on WiFi.
PC is a rather old laptop running Windows 10 Pro on WiFi.
Any help welcome please.
Update - (installed this over 3 hours ago) I can now see Minimserver in the Naim app, and Bubble so that's something, I guess it's a Songpal issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 22:57
RE: New Installation - control point can't see MinimServer
The delayed visibility in the Naim app and BubbleUPnP probably means you have a multicast problem with your network. Unfortunately, these problems can be hard to solve. Changing the wireless network from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz might help.
08-08-2016, 10:40
I've looked at the manual for your router, and, sadly, if there are any multicast settings (which is likely), they appear to be locked in. I've encountered this before with ISP-supplied routers; perhaps it's done to limit customer support calls. But to get a properly working UPnP AV streaming system, you may need to change your router.

If your devices stay visible and start to connect readily, the problem has resolved itself. If, at least temporarily, you can connect everything up by Ethernet and use a control point in the laptop, and it all works then, then the issue will be related only to the wireless (I have come across routers that have separate multicast settings for wireless and Ethernet). Then, disabling the wireless on the router and getting a separate Wireless access point might resolve the problem.

Otherwise, you might want to replace the router, which is what I have done (the router that BT insisted on sending me has never been out of its box). It's a cost, but you get a better, and usually much more configurable router when you buy your own.

David
08-08-2016, 17:03
(08-08-2016 10:40)DavidHB Wrote:  I've looked at the manual for your router, and, sadly, if there are any multicast settings (which is likely), they appear to be locked in. I've encountered this before with ISP-supplied routers; perhaps it's done to limit customer support calls. But to get a properly working UPnP AV streaming system, you may need to change your router.

If your devices stay visible and start to connect readily, the problem has resolved itself. If, at least temporarily, you can connect everything up by Ethernet and use a control point in the laptop, and it all works then, then the issue will be related only to the wireless (I have come across routers that have separate multicast settings for wireless and Ethernet). Then, disabling the wireless on the router and getting a separate Wireless access point might resolve the problem.

Otherwise, you might want to replace the router, which is what I have done (the router that BT insisted on sending me has never been out of its box). It's a cost, but you get a better, and usually much more configurable router when you buy your own.

David

Thanks for looking into this David. It's now reliable with Bubble and the Naim app now, and works beautifully, but Sony Songpal is not interested. So I realise I can live without Songpal as I only need that for Radio services on the Sony box in the kitchen. I can use Bubble for FLAC so I can shut down the Synology native server.

You are right about the router, it's pants (to use a technical term). We had a TPlink which was fried in a near Lightning Strike and we will get another I think; good advice.

I've figured why my playlists wouldn't work now and am fixing those with a relative path and the right slashes!

I just need to figure out how to get a report of my bad/inconsistent tagging so I can fix those now...
09-08-2016, 15:57 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 15:58 by DavidHB.)
(08-08-2016 17:03)Glandwr Wrote:  We had a TPlink which was fried in a near Lightning Strike and we will get another I think; good advice.

I've been using a TP-Link TD-W9980 since I went over to VDSL a year or so ago. It's not given me any trouble and has been straightforward to use - and it has a proper IGMP snooping setting.

(08-08-2016 17:03)Glandwr Wrote:  I just need to figure out how to get a report of my bad/inconsistent tagging so I can fix those now...

If you mean a report from MinimServer, make sure that you have the MinimWatch green icon in your laptop system tray, right-click on it and select 'Show log'. If MinimServer has detected any issues, they will be in the log. To be doubly sure, you can leave the log window open and do a rescan.

David
09-08-2016, 16:29 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 16:30 by Glandwr.)
Thanks again David.
Yes, I have now figured out that I can use minimwatch for a log report. What I'd really like to do is to extract all my metadata so I can see where there are inconsistences like 'and' and '&' or old plain typos. I'll head over to the Tagging forum and start there.
09-08-2016, 21:11 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 21:14 by DavidHB.)
(09-08-2016 16:29)Glandwr Wrote:  What I'd really like to do is to extract all my metadata so I can see where there are inconsistences like 'and' and '&' or old plain typos. I'll head over to the Tagging forum and start there.

You can drive yourself nuts working on metadata lists like that. In MP3Tag, there are some clever tricks you can use without working from a separate list.

For example, you want a consistent composer name for Chopin (whose first name can be spelt in about half a dozen ways). Select the whole music folder, or if you have one, the Classical sub-folder, and wait for the grid to populate. Then set a filter (F3); in this case 'Composer HAS Chopin' would be a good filter, because the surname is usually spelt in the same way. This displays the set of tracks that have 'Chopin' in the composer name.

If you select the whole of this filtered set, you will find that the Composer value defaults to <Keep>. Alongside this value, there is a drop-down arrow, which, when clicked, displays a list of all of the Composer values used in the whole set. Just selecting the value you prefer and pressing Save sets your preferred value throughout the set in one action. All of this (depending on the number of files in the set) will often take less time than reading this description.

With sets constructed in any convenient way, you can also search and replace on any tag ('&' to 'and', for example). It all avoids trawling through separately constructed lists, which has to be good news.

David
10-08-2016, 09:49
That's excellent - I didn't know that MP3tag had those tricks! From other helpful comments on here I worked out how to export all my metadata to a csv file in MP3' last night so I will enjoy trawling through that to find inconsistencies in a dull moment and use your 'tricks' to sort them.
10-08-2016, 10:08
Could you post a summary of how to do this exporting? This question comes up from time to time and it would be useful to have some guidance available.
10-08-2016, 14:23 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 15:23 by DavidHB.)
(10-08-2016 10:08)simoncn Wrote:  Could you post a summary of how to do this exporting? This question comes up from time to time and it would be useful to have some guidance available.

In MP3Tag, open an album or set of albums in the grid in the usual way. Then press Ctrl+E (or, on the menu, File | Export). A dialog opens; CSV is the top option, and you can select your output file name and path. Tick the 'Append ...' box if you want to append the output to an existing file (for example if you are building a complete catalogue of your collection); leave this option unticked if you want to create a new file. Pressing OK writes the CSV data.

I attach a sample of the output. This can be opened either as a text file or, in tabular form, in pretty much any spreadsheet program. The extension has been changed from .CSV to .TXT because the Forum does not allow CSV attachments; change the extension back again if you want to open it as a spreadsheet.

David

.txt  compilation.txt (Size: 36.05 KB / Downloads: 4)