Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Spotify
20-03-2016, 16:28
Streaming Spotify
Can MinimServer / MinimStreamer support Spotify?

Currently I run Spotify on an iPad mini and use Airplay to output music via Toslink to my DAC without any problems (and reasonable sound quality).

I've tried direct streaming to a Sonore Rendu renderer which did not work and was told by Sonore that Spotify is not supported. I've now tried direct streaming through a PS Audio DirectStream DAC fitted with Bridge II (their renderer) and also had no success. The problem could be hardware related but I wondered whether the solution might lie with settings on MinimServer and / or MinimStreamer.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2016, 22:43
RE: Streaming Spotify
MinimServer and MinimStreamer don't support Spotify streaming and they also don't prevent Spotify streaming by other devices.
22-03-2016, 20:26
(20-03-2016 16:28)DavidL Wrote:  Can MinimServer / MinimStreamer support Spotify?

Currently I run Spotify on an iPad mini and use Airplay to output music via Toslink to my DAC without any problems (and reasonable sound quality).

I've tried direct streaming to a Sonore Rendu renderer which did not work and was told by Sonore that Spotify is not supported. I've now tried direct streaming through a PS Audio DirectStream DAC fitted with Bridge II (their renderer) and also had no success. The problem could be hardware related but I wondered whether the solution might lie with settings on MinimServer and / or MinimStreamer.

Two suggestions, neither of which I've tried or can guarantee will work with your setup. First, bit of a long-shot but try using Cambridge Audio's app as your control point as, if I get it right, it features Spotify Connect. If this app recognises your renderer you may be sorted. Alternatively, have a go at stetting up Audio Cast on BubbleUPnP, as this is supposed to capture audio from most music apps (such as Spotify). Good luck - sorry I can't help you any further with this
22-03-2016, 21:50
(22-03-2016 20:26)rich28 Wrote:  Two suggestions, neither of which I've tried or can guarantee will work with your setup. First, bit of a long-shot but try using Cambridge Audio's app as your control point as, if I get it right, it features Spotify Connect. If this app recognises your renderer you may be sorted. Alternatively, have a go at stetting up Audio Cast on BubbleUPnP, as this is supposed to capture audio from most music apps (such as Spotify). Good luck - sorry I can't help you any further with this

Thanks for the ideas. I tried the Cambridge Audio app; it picked up the library but it could not find my 'device', a DAC with a built-in renderer (PS Audio Bridge). It looks as though the app only supports Cambridge Audio devices.
I looked into Audio Cast on BubbleUPnP in some detail: going thro' the setup looks complicated and could quite possibly effect the normal playback with MinimServer which I use extensively, so I've decided not to take this further.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
22-03-2016, 23:09
Ask BubbleUPnP devs to add support for Spotify.
23-03-2016, 09:04
(22-03-2016 21:50)DavidL Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 20:26)rich28 Wrote:  Two suggestions, neither of which I've tried or can guarantee will work with your setup. First, bit of a long-shot but try using Cambridge Audio's app as your control point as, if I get it right, it features Spotify Connect. If this app recognises your renderer you may be sorted. Alternatively, have a go at stetting up Audio Cast on BubbleUPnP, as this is supposed to capture audio from most music apps (such as Spotify). Good luck - sorry I can't help you any further with this

Thanks for the ideas. I tried the Cambridge Audio app; it picked up the library but it could not find my 'device', a DAC with a built-in renderer (PS Audio Bridge). It looks as though the app only supports Cambridge Audio devices.
I looked into Audio Cast on BubbleUPnP in some detail: going thro' the setup looks complicated and could quite possibly effect the normal playback with MinimServer which I use extensively, so I've decided not to take this further.

OK, one further suggestion but before I go on make sure BubbleUpNP Server is installed on your NAS and using it you’ve created an OpenHome renderer for your DAC. Having done that, I suggest you install Linn Kazoo as the control point – this is a longstanding Apple app and as I gather is now also available on Google and Amazon. Next install Linn’s Songcast on your PC (or Mac) and use this to send Spotify’s audio output to your DAC. That's it..
23-03-2016, 10:30 (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 10:36 by rich28.)
(23-03-2016 09:04)rich28 Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 21:50)DavidL Wrote:  

OK, one further suggestion but before I go on make sure BubbleUpNP Server is installed on your NAS and using it you’ve created an OpenHome renderer for your DAC. Having done that, I suggest you install Linn Kazoo as the control point – this is a longstanding Apple app which I gather is now also available for Google and Amazon devices. Next install Linn’s Songcast on your PC (or Mac) and use this to send Spotify’s audio output to your DAC. That's it. Yup, as always with these things there's a chance this may not work, but its worth trying... Tidal and Qobuz incidentally are incorporated into Kazoo (and Lumin's control point app) so in comparison it should be very straightforward to get these streaming services to playback on your DAC
23-03-2016, 12:01
Perhaps I should add to what I stated in the first post.

Basically I do not want any general-purpose computer in the direct playback chain - I only use my iMac for adding music files to the library on the NAS and curating it. (I sold off a Mac laptop and a Mac mini to help fund the NAS and hard discs.) I've tried a number of control apps running on Mac iOS and Android. Very few of these could handle gapless playback of hi-res music files: for Mac iOS the best I found which can was AudioNet. BubblUPnP can do gapless & hi-res and is better than AudioNet but does not run on Mac iOS. (JRemote is very good but requires JRiver Media Centre running on a computer hence not for me.)

My understanding is that Spotify should only require a control app and a streaming 'conduit', unlike iTunes playback which requires the program to be running on a computer permanently. I'm pretty certain that using an iOS device to run and control Spotify via Airplay (to an Apple TV in my case) means that the music stream is routed through the iOS controller device (I use an iPad) rather than direct to the renderer, which is what an Android device (e.g. ChromeCast Audio) can do.

So thanks for the extra suggestions but I guess I'll only follow up on methods that have been demonstrated to work.

23-03-2016, 12:33 (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 12:40 by Cebolla.)
(23-03-2016 10:30)rich28 Wrote:  OK, one further suggestion but before I go on make sure BubbleUpNP Server is installed on your NAS and using it you’ve created an OpenHome renderer for your DAC. Having done that, I suggest you install Linn Kazoo as the control point – this is a longstanding Apple app which I gather is now also available for Google and Amazon devices. Next install Linn’s Songcast on your PC (or Mac) and use this to send Spotify’s audio output to your DAC. That's it. Yup, as always with these things there's a chance this may not work, but its worth trying... Tidal and Qobuz incidentally are incorporated into Kazoo (and Lumin's control point app) so in comparison it should be very straightforward to get these streaming services to playback on your DAC
No, unfortunately it won't work. The OpenHome renderers provided by the BubbleUPnP Server helper software do support the OpenHome Streaming Services (for TIDAL & Qobuz), but they don't support Songcast.
23-03-2016, 14:08 (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 14:16 by Cebolla.)
(23-03-2016 12:01)DavidL Wrote:  Perhaps I should add to what I stated in the first post.

Basically I do not want any general-purpose computer in the direct playback chain - I only use my iMac for adding music files to the library on the NAS and curating it. (I sold off a Mac laptop and a Mac mini to help fund the NAS and hard discs.) I've tried a number of control apps running on Mac iOS and Android. Very few of these could handle gapless playback of hi-res music files: for Mac iOS the best I found which can was AudioNet. BubblUPnP can do gapless & hi-res and is better than AudioNet but does not run on Mac iOS. (JRemote is very good but requires JRiver Media Centre running on a computer hence not for me.)

My understanding is that Spotify should only require a control app and a streaming 'conduit', unlike iTunes playback which requires the program to be running on a computer permanently. I'm pretty certain that using an iOS device to run and control Spotify via Airplay (to an Apple TV in my case) means that the music stream is routed through the iOS controller device (I use an iPad) rather than direct to the renderer, which is what an Android device (e.g. ChromeCast Audio) can do.

So thanks for the extra suggestions but I guess I'll only follow up on methods that have been demonstrated to work.
The Logitech Media Server supports direct streaming from Spotify, via appropriate plugins. However, LMS is designed to be used by Squeezebox type streamers and only its music library files (so not its internet radio & online streaming services) are normally accessible by UPnP/DLNA streamers. The trick here is to use the UPnPBridge/squeeze2upnp plugin for LMS, which provides a Squeezebox emulator for UPnP/DLNA streamers, thus allowing them to potentially stream from all of the sources provided by LMS, including Spotify.

Of course as an emulated Squeezebox, you will only be able to use this method with a Squeezebox controller app to control your UPnP/DLNA streamer's playback. LMS provides a built-in Squeezebox controller via its web browser UI, BTW.