Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
16-02-2021, 22:08
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
It looks like the isWireless function contains Linux-specific code. To work around this, you could add !defined(PLATFORM_FREEBSD) to line 1364.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2021, 23:11
(16-02-2021 22:08)simoncn Wrote:  It looks like the isWireless function contains Linux-specific code. To work around this, you could add !defined(PLATFORM_FREEBSD) to line 1364.

I assume you are referring to file Os/Posix/Os.c in ohnet version 1.30.3937.

If yes, I don't understand because line 1364 contains:

Code:
1363     struct ifaddrs* networkIf;
1364     struct ifaddrs* iter;
1365     int32_t includeLoopback = 1;

I assume you mean the beginning of the "isWireless"-function? That would be line 1318, correct?

Code:
1318 static int32_t isWireless(const char* ifname)
1319 {
16-02-2021, 23:23
Apologies, I was looking at the latest source on GitHub. In 1.30.3937, you need to change line 1320 from

#if !defined(PLATFORM_MACOSX_GNU) && !defined(PLATFORM_QNAP)

to

#if !defined(PLATFORM_MACOSX_GNU) && !defined(PLATFORM_QNAP) && !defined(PLATFORM_FREEBSD)
17-02-2021, 18:25
(16-02-2021 23:23)simoncn Wrote:  Apologies, I was looking at the latest source on GitHub. In 1.30.3937, you need to change line 1320 from

#if !defined(PLATFORM_MACOSX_GNU) && !defined(PLATFORM_QNAP)

to

#if !defined(PLATFORM_MACOSX_GNU) && !defined(PLATFORM_QNAP) && !defined(PLATFORM_FREEBSD)

Excellent! Thanks to your input I managed to finish compilation. I already created the zip-file with the new libraries in the same way like in the past and put them on the existing place to download here.

I couldn't test it with MinimServer 2 yet, but will do this as soon as possible. I decided to provide it right now, perhaps @abooker or @seanshankus want to try it out right now. When I have successfully tested the new libs with the current version of MinimServer, I will also create a new step-by-step for interested FreeBSD-users, perhaps I can simplify a bit (eventually in a new thread).
19-02-2021, 00:00
Brilliant @airflow. I have copied your freshly compiled ohnet(linux-intel)-1.30.3937.zip over the top of the renamed older version, restarted the jail, and it seems to be working fine. Many thanks.

I am currently running FreeNAS-11.3-U5 but will update to TrueNAS-12 (along with the jail) in the near future and will report back.
19-02-2021, 11:52
(19-02-2021 00:00)abooker Wrote:  Brilliant @airflow. I have copied your freshly compiled ohnet(linux-intel)-1.30.3937.zip over the top of the renamed older version, restarted the jail, and it seems to be working fine. Many thanks.

I am currently running FreeNAS-11.3-U5 but will update to TrueNAS-12 (along with the jail) in the near future and will report back.

I am glad it works for you. In the meanwhile, I have also tested the updated libraries in my setup together with MinimServer 2 and can also confirm it works fine so far.

I updated the step-by-step guide at the beginning of this thread to reflect the changes due to the changed behaviour of MinimServer 2.

So that should be it for now - MinimServer 2 is fully available for FreeBSD-users, too. Feel free to ping me when a new version of ohNet is being used by MinimServer, then I will provide the updated binaries for FreeBSD as well again (sometimes I don't notice this immediately).
23-03-2021, 17:50
(14-09-2020 15:04)abooker Wrote:  As a test, I created a couple of address files in the directory location minimserver is expecting to find the mac addresses and the Starter version now seems to start and function without issue:

Code:
a)    Obtain the two jail mac addresses:
ifconfig -a
b)    Create the following two 'address' files (and relevant directories if they don't exist) and add the corresponding mac address to each:
/sys/class/net/ether/address         (contains for example 0e:c4:7a:xx:xx:xx)
/sys/class/net/hwaddr/address          (contains for example 02:cc:01:x:xx:xx)

There is a change in MinimServer update 190 (and subsequent updates) that enables MinimServer 2 licensing to work without the user creating these files.
23-03-2021, 17:53
(23-03-2021 17:50)simoncn Wrote:  There is a change in MinimServer update 190 (and subsequent updates) that enables MinimServer 2 licensing to work without the user creating these files.

I updated the instructions to simplify the installation-process.
14-04-2021, 16:08
OKay, this is probably a long shot but i've been playing with getting multiple instances running within the same jail so i created two different <minim_home> directories installed, followed the steps in the beginning of this thread, got the first one running, when i tried to start the second one i got the following error:

[root@minim /usr/local/share/MinimClassical]# ./minimserver/bin/startd
MinimServer 2.0.16 update 192, Copyright © 2012-2021 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
MinimServer: ohNet port 9791 is already in use
MinimServer: startup error
[root@minim /usr/local/share/MinimClassical]#

As I understand it from Simon, what should happen is that it minimserver will first use HTTP 9790 & UPnP 9791 on the first instance then on subsequent instances will start on the next available port starting at 9792 and a random UPnP. But i'm guessing the FreeBSD version of the OhNet isn't aligned with getting the next port or its not being passed into OhNet properly. Is this correct? Is there any hope in getting this fixed?
I'm guessing a better course of action on this maybe to either do multiple Jails, or run this within a VM using a different distribution of Linux.
14-04-2021, 20:59 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2021 21:52 by simoncn.)
The FreeBSD version of ohNet has some limitations and I believe this is one of them. I have confirmed that it is working as expected on Linux. I am not able to try this on FreeBSD (or provide support for fixing problems that are specific to FreeBSD) because I don't have a FreeBSD system.