Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
07-07-2019, 21:07
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
At present, I don't have any plans to do this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2019, 22:01
Is there a way to support you with this task so this could happen?
08-07-2019, 11:26
You could build ohNet version 1.17.2776.1 for FreeBSD (download the source for 1.17.2776 from GitHub and apply this change) and test it with MinimServer. airflow has been doing this for previous versions but for some reason it stopped working (see this post).

You would also need to recompile ohNet every time MinimServer moves forward to a new ohNet version and send me the compiled binary.

In addition, you would need to provide support for users of MinimServer on FreeBSD who have problems that can't be reproduced on the Linux version.
08-07-2019, 13:58
(08-07-2019 11:26)simoncn Wrote:  You could build ohNet version 1.17.2776.1 for FreeBSD (download the source for 1.17.2776 from GitHub and apply this change) and test it with MinimServer. airflow has been doing this for previous versions but for some reason it stopped working (see this post).

You would also need to recompile ohNet every time MinimServer moves forward to a new ohNet version and send me the compiled binary.

In addition, you would need to provide support for users of MinimServer on FreeBSD who have problems that can't be reproduced on the Linux version.

I am willing to provide this support for the FreeBSD-variant of MinimServer. The problem here is, however, that I cannot bring the recent ohNet-releases to compile. I just recently invested some time trying this again, but failed. The original forum for ohNet-support has been closed, however, and it seems impossible for me to reach the developers of this library for any help here. This is why I am not able to provide recent binaries of ohNet for FreeBSD at the moment.
08-07-2019, 14:04
Thank you both for your supply. I will setup a build envirment and investigate on the build issues.

@airflow: it would be nice if we could provide the support for users of MinimServer on FreeBSD together. I am willing to provide supprt, but I cannot guarantee any response times.
08-07-2019, 15:31
(08-07-2019 14:04)kaffeedoktor Wrote:  @airflow: it would be nice if we could provide the support for users of MinimServer on FreeBSD together. I am willing to provide supprt, but I cannot guarantee any response times.

Sure! I am happy if I am not alone with this... Actually I have already a complete build setup in a jail, with scripts to automate the process as much as possible. When everything worked fine, I just had to provide the requested version of oHnet, and the script did all the rest - downloading the right version from github, doing some changes for FreeBSD in the code, compiling, and packing the libs for MinimServer in the zip-format like it requires, and uploading it for the users of this forum. If you can find out the problem in building, I would appreciate it a lot. Let me know if you need any information, e.g. my building-scripts and the way you prefer to communicate (Signal?).
14-09-2019, 07:38
(08-07-2019 14:04)kaffeedoktor Wrote:  @airflow: it would be nice if we could provide the support for users of MinimServer on FreeBSD together. I am willing to provide supprt, but I cannot guarantee any response times.

I wanted to let you know that I completed the task to tidy up my build-scripts for the FreeBSD-version of ohNet a bit and move them to a git-repository. Now it should be possible for other knowledgable people to contribute to this task.

As of now, the libaries libohNet.so and libohNetJni.so are actually compiling, but when I test them with MinimServer, MinimServer crashes with the message "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ohNet in java.library.path".

The scripts are maintained at https://github.com/airflow2010/ohNet-build4FreeBSD

Kind Regards,
airflow
14-09-2019, 09:39
Please post the complete Java stack trace for this error.

If you are running a recent version of MinimServer, it is looking for these libraries in a file named ohnet(linux-xxx)-1.17.2776.1.zip where xxx is the platform you are using to run MinimServer (for example, intel, arm, armhf, etc.) If you have rebuilt this zip file to include the new libraries, there might be a problem with how you have built the zip file. Can you substitute older versions of these libraries (that worked with an older version of MinimServer) to check this?
14-09-2019, 10:39
(14-09-2019 09:39)simoncn Wrote:  If you are running a recent version of MinimServer, it is looking for these libraries in a file named ohnet(linux-xxx)-1.17.2776.1.zip where xxx is the platform you are using to run MinimServer (for example, intel, arm, armhf, etc.) If you have rebuilt this zip file to include the new libraries, there might be a problem with how you have built the zip file. Can you substitute older versions of these libraries (that worked with an older version of MinimServer) to check this?

Thanks Simon, with your hint I got the problem - I included a base-directory in the zip-file I built, which breaks it. Without this directory, it works fine again.

Cool! That means I can now correctly build the right versions of ohNet for FreeBSD again, to make MinimServer run on it! I'm testing it and so far it works fine.

Honestly, I'm not sure now what the problem was in the end. It was not the zip-issue, as I had problems with the compilation. While re-structuring and editing my scripts for publishing them on GitHub, it seems I fixed some problem in the process without realizing it. :-) Anyhow, now it's fine again and I can provide the libs in the correct versions for FreeBSD.

@kaffeedoktor: Thanks for your willingness to help, although in the end it wasn't needed. I'll maintain the repository for the future nevertheless.
@simoncn: Many thanks and let me know if you want to provide these libs directly somehow and if yes how you'd like to proceed.
14-09-2019, 11:34
Thanks very much for working through this and uploading a FreeBSD version of the current MinimServer ohNet zip file.

I tthink the current installation procedure for overwriting the ohNet zip file should be OK for FreeBSD users, thanks to your detailed instructions. The only problem would be if an online MinimServer update were to change the version of ohNet, as the new downloaded ohNet library would not work on FreeBSD. I don't think there is likely to be an online update to ohNet in the near term but it is something that I will consider for a possible future solution.