Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC HLS Radio Streams
03-04-2017, 19:33
RE: BBC HLS Radio Streams
Thanks to Simon's guidance and all the helpful posts in this thread I now have 320 KB streams for BBC Stations running on my Roberts Stream; a big improvement in sound.

I've noticed when I access HD Radio Paradise using a direct internet link details of the programme artist, title etc scroll up on-screen. Can this be achieved for the HD BBC stations using Minim Streamer?

Once again thanks for all the help in getting this system working in the first place.

TomD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2017, 21:10
Is HD Radio Paradise the same as the RadioParadise 320k AAC stream listed on the Radio Paradise website? If so, this is not an HLS stream.

It would be nice to have HLS stream metadata displayed by the renderer but unfortunately the MinimStreamer transcoding of HLS streams to AAC/ADTS streams is unable to preserve this metadata because there is nowhere to put it in an AAC/ADTS stream.
03-04-2017, 22:48
(03-04-2017 21:10)simoncn Wrote:  Is HD Radio Paradise the same as the RadioParadise 320k AAC stream listed on the Radio Paradise website? If so, this is not an HLS stream.

It would be nice to have HLS stream metadata displayed by the renderer but unfortunately the MinimStreamer transcoding of HLS streams to AAC/ADTS streams is unable to preserve this metadata because there is nowhere to put it in an AAC/ADTS stream.

Thanks for clearing that up, though it seems rather odd the BBC should opt for a technical solution, that can't include metadata.This is a big selling point for digital radios and I'm surprised the metadata aspect was overlooked.
Best wishes,
Tom D
03-04-2017, 23:02
(03-04-2017 22:48)tomdfree Wrote:  Thanks for clearing that up, though it seems rather odd the BBC should opt for a technical solution, that can't include metadata.This is a big selling point for digital radios and I'm surprised the metadata aspect was overlooked.
Best wishes,
Tom D

I didn't say that HLS can't include metadata. HLS does support metadata but when MinimStreamer transcodes HLS to AAC/ADTS so that it can be played on a non-HLS renderer such as your Roberts, the metadata gets lost in translation.

If you have a renderer that supports HLS natively, there would be no need to use MinimStreamer to transcode the HLS stream and your renderer would be able to read the metadata from the HLS stream.