Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does dff:dopwav transcode the DSD file in itself?
02-01-2016, 00:17
RE: Does dff:dopwav transcode the DSD file in itself?
"DoP also provides an alternative way to encode DSD128 using a 176.4 kHz wrapper."

Sorry to butt in here but this suggests that potentially DSD256 could be encoded in a 352.8 kHz wrapper. Is this so or a wishful extrapolation? Is there a reference that might shed some light upon which devices (XMOS?) would support this encoding? Thanks and sorry if I've derailed this thread inappropriately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2016, 00:38
(02-01-2016 00:17)NickD Wrote:  "DoP also provides an alternative way to encode DSD128 using a 176.4 kHz wrapper."

Sorry to butt in here but this suggests that potentially DSD256 could be encoded in a 352.8 kHz wrapper. Is this so or a wishful extrapolation? Is there a reference that might shed some light upon which devices (XMOS?) would support this encoding? Thanks and sorry if I've derailed this thread inappropriately.

In theory, this should be possible. I don't know which devices (if any) are able to decode it. A web search took me to this page.
02-01-2016, 01:19
(02-01-2016 00:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 00:17)NickD Wrote:  "DoP also provides an alternative way to encode DSD128 using a 176.4 kHz wrapper."

In theory, this should be possible. I don't know which devices (if any) are able to decode it. A web search took me to this page.

Thanks for this. It appears to be non-standard to say the least. ASIO (for we windows folk) seems to be the best way for DSD256. Transcoding DSD64 and DSD128 works just fine DoP. It would be nice to be able to specifically transcode DSD256 (i.e. not ALL dsf files) to PCM, or maybe downsample to DSD128(?), in minimstreamer if that's a possibility down the road...cheers

N.
02-01-2016, 09:46
(02-01-2016 01:19)NickD Wrote:  Thanks for this. It appears to be non-standard to say the least. ASIO (for we windows folk) seems to be the best way for DSD256. Transcoding DSD64 and DSD128 works just fine DoP. It would be nice to be able to specifically transcode DSD256 (i.e. not ALL dsf files) to PCM, or maybe downsample to DSD128(?), in minimstreamer if that's a possibility down the road...cheers

N.

Have you tried using the current DSF to PCM transcoding support in MinimStreamer on any DSD256 files?
02-01-2016, 15:58
(02-01-2016 09:46)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 01:19)NickD Wrote:  Thanks for this. It appears to be non-standard to say the least. ASIO (for we windows folk) seems to be the best way for DSD256. Transcoding DSD64 and DSD128 works just fine DoP. It would be nice to be able to specifically transcode DSD256 (i.e. not ALL dsf files) to PCM, or maybe downsample to DSD128(?), in minimstreamer if that's a possibility down the road...cheers

N.

Have you tried using the current DSF to PCM transcoding support in MinimStreamer on any DSD256 files?

Yes, and that works except i now have dsf:dopwav so i would need to change that each time i want to play DSD256. So ideally there would be specific sample rate criteria for flexibility. I can see why this might not be a high priority..Smile
02-01-2016, 16:49
(02-01-2016 15:58)NickD Wrote:  Yes, and that works except i now have dsf:dopwav so i would need to change that each time i want to play DSD256. So ideally there would be specific sample rate criteria for flexibility. I can see why this might not be a high priority..Smile

I am hoping to add the ability to selectively apply transcoding based on input sample rate in a future release.

I don't have any plans to support downsampling from DSD256 to DSD/DoP at lower resolutions. This might change if this capability becomes available in ffmpeg.
02-01-2016, 17:35
(02-01-2016 16:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 15:58)NickD Wrote:  Yes, and that works except i now have dsf:dopwav so i would need to change that each time i want to play DSD256. So ideally there would be specific sample rate criteria for flexibility. I can see why this might not be a high priority..Smile

I am hoping to add the ability to selectively apply transcoding based on input sample rate in a future release.

I don't have any plans to support downsampling from DSD256 to DSD/DoP at lower resolutions. This might change if this capability becomes available in ffmpeg.

Fair enough on the latter. I look forward to the future release. Thanks!

N.
05-01-2016, 19:51 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 19:52 by Linn_agnostik.)
I've gotten a reply from the manufacturer, quoted below:
" What I can tell you is the MR-MOD module (the name of the streamer card inside my DAC) itself supports:
- FLAC-encoded PCM files up to 192kHz 24-bit
- Uncompressed PCM files up to 384kHz 32-bit
- Native DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256

The MR-MOD does NOT decode DoP. "

This is very strange, since:
1) I cannot get WAVs (which I guess count as uncompressed PCM) with higher frequency than 192)
2) If I uncheck DoP no DSD file plays at all, I get "No Signal" displayed on my DAC. In minimstreamer that means removing the dopwav transcode option.

Scratching my head here..
05-01-2016, 22:25
(05-01-2016 19:51)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  I've gotten a reply from the manufacturer, quoted below:
" What I can tell you is the MR-MOD module (the name of the streamer card inside my DAC) itself supports:
- FLAC-encoded PCM files up to 192kHz 24-bit
- Uncompressed PCM files up to 384kHz 32-bit
- Native DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256

The MR-MOD does NOT decode DoP. "

This is very strange, since:
1) I cannot get WAVs (which I guess count as uncompressed PCM) with higher frequency than 192)
2) If I uncheck DoP no DSD file plays at all, I get "No Signal" displayed on my DAC. In minimstreamer that means removing the dopwav transcode option.

Scratching my head here..

Perhaps the DAC has different limitations than the MR-MOD card. For example, the MR-MOD might be passing DoP/WAV streams to the DAC (not realising that they are DoP/WAV) and the DAC might be doing the DoP decoding.

This doesn't explain the WAV>192 issue. Have you tried streaming native WAV>192 PCM files with no transcoding?