Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Multiple artists tags in MP3 files
22-04-2015, 11:37
Multiple artists tags in MP3 files
Do MP3 files support having multiple artist tags?

I have the J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton album The Road to Escondido on MP3 format and it's tagged
ARTIST: J.J. Cale
ARTIST: Eric Clapton
ARTISTSORT: Cale, J.J.
ARTISTSORT: Clapton, Eric
ALBUMARTIST: J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton
ALBUMARTISTSORT: Cale; J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton

In the control point (Naim primarily but same in Kazoo and Kinsky) the album shows under All Artists: J.J. Cale (sorted under C) but its absent under Eric Clapton.

My question - is there something screwy with my tagging, or is this not supported with MP3 files (similar works with FLAC and other formats).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 11:49
RE: Multiple artists tags in MP3 files
(22-04-2015 11:37)audio_elf Wrote:  Do MP3 files support having multiple artist tags?

I have the J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton album The Road to Escondido on MP3 format and it's tagged
ARTIST: J.J. Cale
ARTIST: Eric Clapton
ARTISTSORT: Cale, J.J.
ARTISTSORT: Clapton, Eric
ALBUMARTIST: J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton
ALBUMARTISTSORT: Cale; J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton

In the control point (Naim primarily but same in Kazoo and Kinsky) the album shows under All Artists: J.J. Cale (sorted under C) but its absent under Eric Clapton.

My question - is there something screwy with my tagging, or is this not supported with MP3 files (similar works with FLAC and other formats).

To get this to work properly, you need to ensure the tags are written as ID3v2.4, not ID3v2.3. The support for this in ID3v2.3 is incomplete and some tagging programs use a nonstandard workaround that violates the ID3v2.3 specification and doesn't work with MinimServer. All these problems are fixed in ID3v2.4.
22-04-2015, 12:58
RE: Multiple artists tags in MP3 files
(22-04-2015 11:49)simoncn Wrote:  To get this to work properly, you need to ensure the tags are written as ID3v2.4, not ID3v2.3. The support for this in ID3v2.3 is incomplete and some tagging programs use a nonstandard workaround that violates the ID3v2.3 specification and doesn't work with MinimServer. All these problems are fixed in ID3v2.4.
Brilliant ... thanks for the help Simon.