Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Account Banning
28-02-2015, 19:11
Account Banning
Simon.... seems like the forum has some setting to "ban" users when they are using a server or IP that is blacklisted because it is used with VPN services (my best guess). I've been connecting through a VPN ever since joining this forum without problem. Now I find myself banned. Not really banned since I can disconnect from the VPN, log out and back in again and reconnect with the VPN and I'll be ok for a while until the next day or so.

I don't run into this on any other forums, and I frequent dozens. Is my guess correct and is this really necessary?

Thanks.

......zeke
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2015, 21:08
RE: Account Banning
(28-02-2015 19:11)zekeblue Wrote:  Simon.... seems like the forum has some setting to "ban" users when they are using a server or IP that is blacklisted because it is used with VPN services (my best guess). I've been connecting through a VPN ever since joining this forum without problem. Now I find myself banned. Not really banned since I can disconnect from the VPN, log out and back in again and reconnect with the VPN and I'll be ok for a while until the next day or so.

I don't run into this on any other forums, and I frequent dozens. Is my guess correct and is this really necessary?

Thanks.

Do you know which IP address you are using when you are "banned"?
01-03-2015, 02:37
(28-02-2015 21:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 19:11)zekeblue Wrote:  Simon.... seems like the forum has some setting to "ban" users when they are using a server or IP that is blacklisted because it is used with VPN services (my best guess). I've been connecting through a VPN ever since joining this forum without problem. Now I find myself banned. Not really banned since I can disconnect from the VPN, log out and back in again and reconnect with the VPN and I'll be ok for a while until the next day or so.

Thanks.

Do you know which IP address you are using when you are "banned"?

No, but I'll keep track and see if I can identify one or more. Thanks!

......zeke
01-03-2015, 18:44
Simon,

It just happened with 198.23.71.118

......zeke
01-03-2015, 18:51
(01-03-2015 18:44)zekeblue Wrote:  Simon,

It just happened with 198.23.71.118

PM sent.
24-07-2015, 15:20 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 15:22 by Briain.)
Hi Simon

I had that this afternoon when working at a customer premises (in Edinburgh) this afternoon (probably about 13:30 GMT, at a guess). That particular shop is served by Virgin ISP, but I didn't think to note the WAN address, as I just assumed it was either a forum glitch, or that you'd banned me cause I'm completely bonkers (which would be entirely understandable)! Tongue

I might have to return to that same site tomorrow, so if I do, I'll note the WAN IP address. I'll be at another branch of that same Chain of shops on Monday - which I think might also be a Virgin served one - so I'll also check to see if I can log in from there.

Bri
24-07-2015, 16:01
(24-07-2015 15:20)Briain Wrote:  Hi Simon

I had that this afternoon when working at a customer premises (in Edinburgh) this afternoon (probably about 13:30 GMT, at a guess). That particular shop is served by Virgin ISP, but I didn't think to note the WAN address, as I just assumed it was either a forum glitch, or that you'd banned me cause I'm completely bonkers (which would be entirely understandable)! Tongue

I might have to return to that same site tomorrow, so if I do, I'll note the WAN IP address. I'll be at another branch of that same Chain of shops on Monday - which I think might also be a Virgin served one - so I'll also check to see if I can log in from there.

Bri

This is likely to be caused by a blacklisted WAN IP address. Please PM me the address when you can get it and I will investigate.