Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations or comments - best place?
22-03-2015, 00:41
RE: Annotations or comments - best place?
(21-03-2015 23:57)krutsch Wrote:  I have already used the "indexTags" procedure you mention; and, I've looked at the logs (turned up to Verbose) - nothing looks incorrect.

I'm not quite clear whether you are seeing Comment in the MinimServer index for these FLAC files. This is important information for tracking down the cause of the problem.

Quote:I also looked at an example file with a Hex editor (using MediaInfo), which *does* show: Description: SACD, Hybrid, Surround

Does the hex editor show COMMENT=Description: SACD, Hybrid, Surround? The COMMENT= (or Comment=) part is required to make this work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 04:31
(22-03-2015 00:41)simoncn Wrote:  I'm not quite clear whether you are seeing Comment in the MinimServer index for these FLAC files. This is important information for tracking down the cause of the problem.

Does the hex editor show COMMENT=Description: SACD, Hybrid, Surround? The COMMENT= (or Comment=) part is required to make this work.

For the first one: No, I am not seeing this with FLAC files. I have verified that this works with MP3 and ALAC files, but not with FLAC - that is, there are no FLAC examples under the container created by indexTags.

Second one, don't know. Do you want me to send you an example file?
22-03-2015, 08:01
(22-03-2015 04:31)krutsch Wrote:  For the first one: No, I am not seeing this with FLAC files. I have verified that this works with MP3 and ALAC files, but not with FLAC - that is, there are no FLAC examples under the container created by indexTags.

OK, this confirms that the FLAC files don't contain COMMENT tags and this is the cause of the problem.

Quote:Second one, don't know. Do you want me to send you an example file?

Please upload one example FLAC file to my FTP server and I will check the tags with a hex editor. I will PM you the server details now.
22-03-2015, 19:59
(22-03-2015 08:01)simoncn Wrote:  Please upload one example FLAC file to my FTP server and I will check the tags with a hex editor. I will PM you the server details now.

Thanks and done. See: 01 - En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor.flac
22-03-2015, 22:12
(22-03-2015 19:59)krutsch Wrote:  Thanks and done. See: 01 - En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor.flac

Thanks! I have looked at this file and it contains a DESCRIPTION tag instead of a COMMENT tag. To make this work with MinimServer, you need to add Description:Comment to aliasTags.
22-03-2015, 23:21
(22-03-2015 22:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 19:59)krutsch Wrote:  Thanks and done. See: 01 - En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor.flac

Thanks! I have looked at this file and it contains a DESCRIPTION tag instead of a COMMENT tag. To make this work with MinimServer, you need to add Description:Comment to aliasTags.

Awesome and thanks for the tip. Given that I am using popular tools for FLAC, this might be a default for you to consider.

I've added this to aliasTags and we'll see how this works out.

I've moved over to my iTunes library w/ "Playlist Export" managed playlists, so I am good to go (after I updated all of my files to remove junk and add in descriptions of physical media I own).

This is all coming together nicely!

Now, all we need is Recent as a top-level MinimServer container Cool ... I know you are working on something in this direction...
23-03-2015, 10:21
(22-03-2015 23:21)krutsch Wrote:  Awesome and thanks for the tip. Given that I am using popular tools for FLAC, this might be a default for you to consider.

I am using a very popular tool for FLAC (Mp3tag). With this tool, COMMENT tags appear as COMMENT tags in the file and DESCRIPTION tags appear as DESCRIPTION tags in the file. I don't know why your tools are changing COMMENT to DESCRIPTION and don't think it should be regarded as standard practice.
24-03-2015, 20:59
(23-03-2015 10:21)simoncn Wrote:  I am using a very popular tool for FLAC (Mp3tag). With this tool, COMMENT tags appear as COMMENT tags in the file and DESCRIPTION tags appear as DESCRIPTION tags in the file. I don't know why your tools are changing COMMENT to DESCRIPTION and don't think it should be regarded as standard practice.

Just a suggestion. You can leave this an exercise for the reader (i.e. future users of MinimServer).

Thanks for your help, Ken
24-03-2015, 21:28 (This post was last modified: 24-03-2015 21:30 by simoncn.)
(24-03-2015 20:59)krutsch Wrote:  Just a suggestion. You can leave this an exercise for the reader (i.e. future users of MinimServer).

Thanks for your help, Ken

Actually, it's an exercise for future users of tagging programs that don't handle tag names correctly. The normal MinimServer settings work correctly with tagging programs that behave in a normal way. If MinimServer were to try to compensate for abnormal behaviour of other programs, the normal case would probably no longer work properly.
17-02-2017, 00:27
I read this post and have a similar issue - I do have the higher level container in my view called comments. I'm using XLD to rip FLAC, I am using Metadatics to edit metadata. I have several instances where newly added comments (added via Metadatics) don't show up in the comments folder. In Metadatics, the Comment column is called Comments. I have refreshed, re-indexed and rescanned. I also have the alias tag set as follows: Comments:Comment. I need a nudge in right direction as I'm a newbie with the tagging/MinimServer context. I have included a screen shot of example file that should be included and one of current comment container.
Thanks Mike

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)