Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim Streamer stream converter field blank
19-03-2015, 21:38
RE: Minim Streamer stream converter field blank
Hi,

Hope it's ok to jump on this thread. I have exactly the same issue.

I have installed Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi and it appears to be behaving perfectly streaming FLAC files from my hard drive. I then installed MinimWatch on my Windows laptop, which seems to be working fine. I used MinimWatch to activate MinimStreamer and loaded the BBC URL's onto the Raspberry Pi. I then used Plugplayer as a UPNP controller and I can see the BBC stations but when I select them, nothing plays!

I went back into MinimWatch and notice that the streamer field is blank. Can someone recommend some good instructions or links to installing ffmpeg on the Raspberry Pi please.

This is my first post having only installed the software yesterday evening. I have to say that as a music server MinimServer seems very good.
Cheers
Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 22:46
(19-03-2015 21:38)IDM Wrote:  Hi,

Hope it's ok to jump on this thread. I have exactly the same issue.

I have installed Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi and it appears to be behaving perfectly streaming FLAC files from my hard drive. I then installed MinimWatch on my Windows laptop, which seems to be working fine. I used MinimWatch to activate MinimStreamer and loaded the BBC URL's onto the Raspberry Pi. I then used Plugplayer as a UPNP controller and I can see the BBC stations but when I select them, nothing plays!

I went back into MinimWatch and notice that the streamer field is blank. Can someone recommend some good instructions or links to installing ffmpeg on the Raspberry Pi please.

This is my first post having only installed the software yesterday evening. I have to say that as a music server MinimServer seems very good.
Cheers
Ian

Which UPnP renderer or internet radio are you using to play the BBC streams?
20-03-2015, 08:56
I tried to stream to both my i phone just as a test and then to my normal streamer which is another Rapberry Pi running Volumio software with an external home built TDA1541a I2S DAC.

Plugplayer can see the BBC stations but When I tried to stream radio to the I-phone, Plugplayer showed error 4. With the Volumio based software there was no error code, it just did not stream and pressing play would not work. Both devices work fine with the MinimServer streaming FLAC files from a hard drive.

Ultimately I would like to get the MinimStreamer to work with a Naim streamer as well.

Cheers
Ian
20-03-2015, 10:43
(20-03-2015 08:56)IDM Wrote:  I tried to stream to both my i phone just as a test and then to my normal streamer which is another Rapberry Pi running Volumio software with an external home built TDA1541a I2S DAC.

Plugplayer can see the BBC stations but When I tried to stream radio to the I-phone, Plugplayer showed error 4. With the Volumio based software there was no error code, it just did not stream and pressing play would not work. Both devices work fine with the MinimServer streaming FLAC files from a hard drive.

Ultimately I would like to get the MinimStreamer to work with a Naim streamer as well.

Cheers
Ian

Do you have a Naim streamer? This has been tested as working with Naim streamers and there are specific instructions for Naim on this page.

I tried it with PlugPlayer on my iPod and it is working OK for me. I used PlugPlayer to browse the MinimServer playlist, select the stream and add the stream to the PlugPlayer playlist. I then selected the stream from the PlugPlayer playlist to play it. Did you follow all the steps on this page? Do you see any error messages in the MinimServer log?
20-03-2015, 12:55
Hi,

I follow the instructions and it doesnt play. I can see the stations on Plugplayer. I tried to change use transcoding trying things like *:wav in case that heped but when I put in the commands and select apply I get a message that I need a converter. From this I assume I am missing some software. As mentioned the the box named stream converter is blank and I readthat if this was the case to post here for how to correct.

With regard to the Naim streamer, no I dont have one. My aim was to get this software working for me and then download and build a copy for my brother who does. Unfortunately he is not familiar with the raspberry pi and so would like me to do the work.

Hope you can help

Ian
20-03-2015, 13:11 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 13:11 by simoncn.)
(20-03-2015 12:55)IDM Wrote:  Hi,

I follow the instructions and it doesnt play. I can see the stations on Plugplayer. I tried to change use transcoding trying things like *:wav in case that heped but when I put in the commands and select apply I get a message that I need a converter. From this I assume I am missing some software. As mentioned the the box named stream converter is blank and I readthat if this was the case to post here for how to correct.

With regard to the Naim streamer, no I dont have one. My aim was to get this software working for me and then download and build a copy for my brother who does. Unfortunately he is not familiar with the raspberry pi and so would like me to do the work.

Hope you can help

Ian

I am playing the streams on my iPod using PlugPlayer 4.2.3 with no transcode setting and no converter. MinimServer is running on a Raspberry Pi. Please try powering the iPhone off and on and restarting PlugPlayer.

To play the stream, I am doing the following:

1) Browse to 1 playlist > BBC Radio
2) Select Radio 3 (green dot lights up)
3) Select + (PlugPlayer says "added to playlist")
4) Select the PlugPlayer playlist
5) Select the stream in the PlugPlayer playlist
6) After a few seconds, the stream starts playing

If this still isn't working after you have restarted the iPhone, which of the above steps doesn't work?
20-03-2015, 13:32
Every step works except no sound.

The playlist entry is:
bbc_radio_three.m3u8 and uderneath it says <unknown> - <unknown>

Looking at the nowe playing it says the same. There are options to stop or pause the sound lit-up (at the bottom of the screen) implying that it is working. Just no sound.

Any ideas?

Ian
20-03-2015, 15:28
(20-03-2015 13:32)IDM Wrote:  Every step works except no sound.

The playlist entry is:
bbc_radio_three.m3u8 and uderneath it says <unknown> - <unknown>

Looking at the nowe playing it says the same. There are options to stop or pause the sound lit-up (at the bottom of the screen) implying that it is working. Just no sound.

Any ideas?

Ian

The playlist entry should be '[R3] BBC Radio 3', not 'bbc_radio_three.m3u8'. Which versions of MinimServer and MinimStreamer are you using? You can find this information by selecting About from the minim icon in MinimWatch.

If you are using the latest versions (0.8.3 update 64 and 0.5.11), there is probably a problem with your BBC Radio.m3u file. It should be a plain text file with no extra spaces anywhere and it should look like the following (some entries omitted):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[*R3] BBC Radio 3
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
20-03-2015, 17:38
Hi Simon,

I just reformated my SD card and reinstalled everything and now it works!!

The only thing that appeared different was that in both cases I saved the plain text file using Windows Notepad and the time it worked, I saved the file with encoding ANSI. Don't know if this is right, but when I ent into Plugplayer the radio stations were listed exactly as you described.

Also, I may have missed it in your instructions, but I had to add a content directory to point at the radio folder. In my case this was /home/pi/BBC Radio I then rescanned and then I could see the 1 playlist with all the stations.

Many thanks

Ian
20-03-2015, 18:00
I Just checked and I did add the content directory step the previous time when it wouldn't work. So I think the issue was the coding in the Notepad file.

Cheers
Ian