Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to filter down entries of a specific item tree
14-01-2015, 13:39
How to filter down entries of a specific item tree
I wonder how I can mange that under the tree "Composer" only my classical music titels show up.
My music server holds pop music and classical music as well. On one hand I see little use for drilling down by Composer when searching for pop music. On the other hand the Composer item is essential for classical music. But I don't want to dig through thousands of composer names from pop music titles.

What would you suggest to get the desired behaviour as close as possible?

thanks for recommendations in advance!
Wolfgang
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2015, 13:46
RE: How to filter down entries of a specific item tree
(14-01-2015 13:39)Wolfgang Wrote:  I wonder how I can mange that under the tree "Composer" only my classical music titels show up.
My music server holds pop music and classical music as well. On one hand I see little use for drilling down by Composer when searching for pop music. On the other hand the Composer item is essential for classical music. But I don't want to dig through thousands of composer names from pop music titles.

What would you suggest to get the desired behaviour as close as possible?

thanks for recommendations in advance!
Wolfgang

The simplest way to do this is to use the Genre tag to filter the classical titles before you select Composer.
14-01-2015, 19:43
Thanks, Simon. I think i can live with that. By the way: MinimServer is a beautifully clean engineered piece of software. For the first time my Audionet DNP high end network player plays flawlessly with its Audionet control point app. I thought I would never see that ;-)

And as I'm nearly happy with everything there is still a minor thing I think would be nice:
I set the Album name to have the year as a postfix shown. In compilation albums that can come out to "30 Years of James Bond [1967,1968,1970,1971,1973,1974,1976,1978,1979,1982,1985,1986,1990,1993,1996,1997]"
It would be perfect to print this case as ""30 Years of James Bond [1967-1997]"

Do you think this will be possible in a future release?

see you, Wolfgang
14-01-2015, 20:50
(14-01-2015 19:43)Wolfgang Wrote:  Thanks, Simon. I think i can live with that. By the way: MinimServer is a beautifully clean engineered piece of software. For the first time my Audionet DNP high end network player plays flawlessly with its Audionet control point app. I thought I would never see that ;-)

Thanks very much!

Quote:And as I'm nearly happy with everything there is still a minor thing I think would be nice:
I set the Album name to have the year as a postfix shown. In compilation albums that can come out to "30 Years of James Bond [1967,1968,1970,1971,1973,1974,1976,1978,1979,1982,1985,1986,1990,1993,1996,1997]"
It would be perfect to print this case as ""30 Years of James Bond [1967-1997]"

Do you think this will be possible in a future release?

see you, Wolfgang

It wouldn't be easy to change this. One aspect of the "clean engineering" is that all tags are treated the same (as far as possible). For example, if you were using Artist as a postfix for the album title, you would see [Artist1, Artist2, Artist3, ...]. To combine a list of dates but not combine a list of artists would require either treating the Date tag specially (causing inconsistent behaviour if the "date" tag is named ReleaseDate, OriginalDate, etc.) or adding a new extension to the tagFormat syntax to specify "range" formatting of a list of values.

You could get what you want by using another tag (for example, AlbumDate) as the postfix and adding AlbumDate tags to these compilation albums only. To get the correct postfix for your other albums, you can set the "default" option of tagValue to use Date as the default value for AlbumDate if AlbumDate isn't specified.
15-01-2015, 09:31
Thanks a lot for your recommendation! That will work for me.

looking very forward to the future of MinimServer :-)
Wolfgang