Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
18-11-2021, 19:03
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(17-11-2021 08:20)simoncn Wrote:  You don't need a full license to use MinimServer on multiple Melco devices. Just as with a single Melco device, you can upgrade to the full license if you want the extra features it provides. A full license covers up to 3 devices, so a single full license can be used to upgrade both your devices.

After adding new music, you need to do a MinimServer rescan to make the new music available in MinimServer. I will leave it to someone else to clarify what you need to do with SongKong.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2021, 23:29
Melco Player Port setting

In the Melco front-panel Settings > Network menu, there is a setting for Player Port. The default for this setting is Network Mode (non-EX devices) or Bridged Mode (EX devices).

This is the correct setting if you are using the Player port to play audio via an Ethernet cable to a network streamer (UPnP renderer). However, there are other ways the Melco can be used. For example, it can be used to play audio to a USB-attached DAC or it can be connected to a network streamer via a Melco S100 switch.

If you don't have anythng connected to the Player port, you will get better sound quality by changing the Player Port menu setting to Direct Mode (non-EX devices) or Off (EX devices). You should leave everything else the same, including any connections via the Melco's LAN port.

Don't be put off by what it says about this in the Melco manual. I have checked with Melco and they have confirmed the above information is correct. I made this change recently and I was surprised by how much difference it made.
22-11-2021, 23:37
Hi Simon, very interesting, thanks for the tip. Do you connect your Melco to your DAC via USB?

My configuration looks like this so, if I am understanding your post correctly, I do not think I could implement the tip:

Melco > Ethernet cable > Auralic Aries G2 streamer > HDMI (a/k/a Auralic Lightning Link) > Auralic Vega G2 DAC

Thanks again, and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
23-11-2021, 07:23
Happy Thanksgiving!

If you are connecting to the Aries via the Melco Player port and connecting to the rest of your network via the Melco LAN port, you can't use this tip.
23-11-2021, 13:11
I can confirm a really noticeable improvement using an N1/A with an S100 switch as Simon describes, feeding a Linn ADS/Kat.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
25-11-2021, 17:39 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2021 18:51 by Donuk.)
I won't start a new thread because it is still to do with my Melco N1/A.

It is about six years old and I am told one of the first in the country. It has always worked perfectly. Used daily.
I have had an issue recently which might suggest that I have a hard disk problem. Well, maybe.
I would like to replace my two 2Tb disks with 2 SSDs - but as I see it we are talking about £500 for this possible upgrade. Maybe not yet.

Before I go any further, does anyone know if there is a routine to check-disk with the Melco - without taking them out and plugging them into a PC directly?

Or would a Melco re-format and re-installing all the music files (and Minimserver)? My Mac disk utility will not recognise network disks. Does anyone know a Mac utility that would do this?

A load of questions. Anyone been down this route?

Thanks
Donuk
25-11-2021, 18:08
You can try Melco Main Menu > Support > Internal Drive Check.

I am thinking of putting Crucial MX500 SSDs in my first generation Melco N1Z. The 2TB version is @ $168 USD each here in the USA.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
25-11-2021, 18:51
Thanks Mr Gringo, sir....
Didn't know it was there....
I forgot the old adage - if all else fails RTFM.

I will check out the Crucial SSDs - if you do get them, tell us how you get on. I understand from Simon N (somewhere on the forum) that one can expect an improvement in SQ.

Cheers
Donuk dark downtown York.
25-11-2021, 22:50
Hi Don,

I used two 1TB Crucial SSDs in my N1ZH and thought it was a good improvement.

Just had a look at the site I bought them on and see that the 2TB is £137 each

https://www.ebuyer.com/822484-crucial-mx...0mx500ssd1

Peter
31-12-2021, 04:48 (This post was last modified: 31-12-2021 20:54 by ptcl99.)
I have used a Melco N1 ZH/2 for years. I formatted the drives as Raid 0 per the recommendation of a German magazine and a former representative of Melco in Europe. I always have a nagging feeling that the system hardens high-pitched mass strings. They are delicate in concerts. The DAC is an analog-sounding R2R.

Upon reading Simon’s explanation in a different thread, I suspected that the noise from the read/write heads of the drives might be the cause. I went through reformatting the drives as spanned and reloading albums. Challenging recordings, including (1) Ivan Fischer’s Rachmaninoff No. 2 and (2) Kirill Petrenko’s Tchaikovsky No. 6 (4th movement), sound moderately smoother and more delicate. This result is achieved with the spanned array and the unused player port set to direct.

While Raid 0 might benefit certain music, spanned is better for classical music IMHO. If less drive noise benefits the square-waved data stream, I think the light Minimserver overhead on the CPU also reduces electronic noise. YMMV.