Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
18-11-2017, 15:56
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
As of November 18th, the Melco website home page is reporting as follows:

News
[IMPORTANT NOTICE]
N1 firmware Ver. 3.70 and Ver. 3.71B downloads are temporarily unavailable. We will announce a new fixed firmware soon.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and your kind understanding and cooperation would be much appreciated.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2018, 20:06
Does anyone know if the sound quality differs when using Minimserver or Twonky on a Melco...?
11-01-2018, 17:06
Hi Clive
Questions like yours can cause a lot of traffic!
The safest answer I think is - quite possibly - try it and see.
Off course Minimserver gives you the opportunity to serve up your FLAC files as WAV - another debate. Look at threads about this on this forum.

I can hear a difference on my system, and prefer Minimserver. Not night and day.

Donuk sunny downtown York.
11-01-2018, 17:15
(11-01-2018 17:06)Donuk Wrote:  Hi Clive
Off course Minimserver gives you the opportunity to serve up your FLAC files as WAV - another debate. Look at threads about this on this forum.

I can hear a difference on my system, and prefer Minimserver. Not night and day.

Thank you for the reply.
It was just I did not want to go to all the technical detail of installing if there was no great benefit, only to uninstall.
I just needed advice, what the forum is for..?
I will now read the whole thread.
11-01-2018, 18:04
(11-01-2018 17:15)clive101 Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 17:06)Donuk Wrote:  Hi Clive

Thank you for the reply.
It was just I did not want to go to all the technical detail of installing if there was no great benefit, only to uninstall.
I just needed advice, what the forum is for..?
I will now read the whole thread.
The main benefits of MinimServer over Twonky are that you have much more sophistication in the ways you can browse your music and you can customise it. Well worth the trouble to install and try.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
13-02-2018, 01:42
(27-02-2017 19:42)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 19:27)zheng4 Wrote:  I am new to this forum, just joined a couple of minutes ago. Apology if the following question had been raised and answered previously here (I don't have time to read the whole yet). I noticed a very recognizable improvement in 3D image and clarity after I inserted an optic connection between my router and PS Audio DirectStream DAC Junior (router-ethernet-TP link media converter-optic fiber-TP link media converter-ethernet-DAC/player). My music files currently reside on my Buffelotech NAS, which is close to its storage capacity, thus consider to expand the NAS or purchase a Melco unit. I stream music with Roon on my PC. Do any of you have the optic connection along with Melco? If yes, what further improvement with the Melco following inserting the optic connection? I guess I don't fully understand how Melco improves the sound. The optic connection really reduced much noise through the line. Thanks.

I use a wi-fi dongle (a TP-Link one) plugged into the back of the Melco which then connects with the rest of my network, so a wi-fi bridge essentially, and I think it's a pretty decent improvement - less harsh, seems to be a lower noise floor - so I can imagine an optical bridge could potentially be as good if not better.

Hi Rufus, i want to try a TP Link Wi-fi dongle to connect my Melco to my Buffalo router, to see if that’s an improvement over an Ethernet cable but I’m being a bit dim - normally, when using a dongle on a PC you have to install the necessary drivers. How do you get around this with a Melco? Thanks, Mike.
27-02-2018, 09:31
I only put this up because I know a number of Minimserverites have Melcos.
I notice on their site now that they are selling dedicated extension drives and CD rippers.

Donuk snowy downtown York
27-02-2018, 19:40
(27-02-2018 09:31)Donuk Wrote:  I only put this up because I know a number of Minimserverites have Melcos.
I notice on their site now that they are selling dedicated extension drives and CD rippers.

Donuk snowy downtown York

I saw these at the Bristol HiFi show at the weekend, very nice substantial units. The Japanese gentleman on their stand insisted I pick them up to feel the weight. I have 6tb in my N1ZH, not sure I’m going to need an expansion drive any time soon, or even later.
27-02-2018, 20:00
Peter - if you have 2 x 3Tb, you may never fill 3Tb - so why not even up the use of your drives and set up the Raid 0 configuration?
You will still have the same amount of storage of course, but use both discs. Of course if one goes you will lose all your data, but no worse off than just using one.
Also - and this is a contentious point which I am not going to argue - some say that Raid 0 sounds better because the read speed is halved.
Of course don't do anything without full backup.
Donuk even more snowy downtown York
27-02-2018, 22:52
Don,

I have not tried Raid 0 with the N1ZH.

I did try comparing spanned disks with Raid 0 on my previous N1A and found the sound quality worse and quickly went back to spanned disks - the default.

So I did not even try a Raid 0 with the new Melco based on that experience.

I actually rip and tag and otherwise maintain all my music on a QNAP Raid drive which is itself backed up to another QNAP drive, a removable USB drive kept elsewhere locked in a fire safe and an online backup service (Me paranoid???). I then use SyncToy to replicate the QNAP music files onto the Melco.

So I could try Raid 0 on the new Melco and decide which I prefer. However it does take a day to completely reload the music so will need to wait until I have the time/inclination to do the trial again.