Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
05-08-2015, 09:03
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
Many thanks for the clarification. I had completely forgotten the player feature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2015, 17:52
I've just done the update. Simpler than I was expecting! Update from the internet on the front panel, and that's it. All custom config settings maintained, Minimserver still working perfectly. Gapless playback working.
06-08-2015, 00:49
(05-08-2015 17:52)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  I've just done the update. Simpler than I was expecting! Update from the internet on the front panel, and that's it. All custom config settings maintained, Minimserver still working perfectly. Gapless playback working.
Yeah - I was pleasantly surprised that it was so easy - i.e. the way it should be. Cynicism borne of many years of hifi use I guess.
07-08-2015, 21:24 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 21:27 by simoncn.)
(04-08-2015 19:37)simoncn Wrote:  When I connect my Chord Hugo TT to the USB 3.0 socket in the back of the Melco, the Melco is acting as a UPnP renderer. With 2.10, I have gapless playback for this.

This could be my imagination but I think the Melco/Hugo combination sounds better when using the 2.10 firmware. Has anyone else with a similar setup (USB DAC connected to the Melco USB player socket) noticed a difference?
09-08-2015, 06:36
(07-08-2015 21:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 19:37)simoncn Wrote:  When I connect my Chord Hugo TT to the USB 3.0 socket in the back of the Melco, the Melco is acting as a UPnP renderer. With 2.10, I have gapless playback for this.

This could be my imagination but I think the Melco/Hugo combination sounds better when using the 2.10 firmware. Has anyone else with a similar setup (USB DAC connected to the Melco USB player socket) noticed a difference?

Hi Simon, I am currently output from Melco N1A (with 2.10) via USB direct to HUGO TT. Yes, gapless playback is OK, and sounds is good. However, I discover 1 problem when playing with WAV file. There is "hish" sound when tracks changing. FLAC file don't have this problem. I don't find the same problem when playing with 2.01 version.

Any idea what could be the problem?
09-08-2015, 16:09 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 16:12 by simoncn.)
(09-08-2015 06:36)dannyssc Wrote:  Hi Simon, I am currently output from Melco N1A (with 2.10) via USB direct to HUGO TT. Yes, gapless playback is OK, and sounds is good. However, I discover 1 problem when playing with WAV file. There is "hish" sound when tracks changing. FLAC file don't have this problem. I don't find the same problem when playing with 2.01 version.

I am using MinimStreamer to do FLAC to WAV transcoding and I don't hear any noise when one track merges gaplessly into the next. Are you doing FLAC to WAV transcoding or playing native WAV files? When you hear this noise between two tracks, do the tracks have the same resolution or different resolutions? With some DACs, changing resolutions can cause a noise.

I suggest you contact Melco and ask if they are aware of this. I would be interested to hear what they say.
09-08-2015, 16:29
(09-08-2015 16:09)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 06:36)dannyssc Wrote:  Hi Simon, I am currently output from Melco N1A (with 2.10) via USB direct to HUGO TT. Yes, gapless playback is OK, and sounds is good. However, I discover 1 problem when playing with WAV file. There is "hish" sound when tracks changing. FLAC file don't have this problem. I don't find the same problem when playing with 2.01 version.

I am using MinimStreamer to do FLAC to WAV transcoding and I don't hear any noise when one track merges gaplessly into the next. Are you doing FLAC to WAV transcoding or playing native WAV files? When you hear this noise between two tracks, do the tracks have the same resolution or different resolutions? With some DACs, changing resolutions can cause a noise.

I suggest you contact Melco and ask if they are aware of this. I would be interested to hear what they say.

I play the files rip from 1 CD but to 2 set of files - FLAC and WAV. When playing flac to wav transcoding, no problem. The sound only happens while playing native wav file.

All tracks I suppose having the same resolution since it is rip from the same CD using same software. I am using HUGO TT DAC. The problem seems only happens after update the MELCO from 2.01 to 2.10.

Anyway, I will contact Melco and hopefully to hear something from them.
09-08-2015, 17:31 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 22:04 by simoncn.)
(09-08-2015 16:29)dannyssc Wrote:  I play the files rip from 1 CD but to 2 set of files - FLAC and WAV. When playing flac to wav transcoding, no problem. The sound only happens while playing native wav file.

All tracks I suppose having the same resolution since it is rip from the same CD using same software. I am using HUGO TT DAC. The problem seems only happens after update the MELCO from 2.01 to 2.10.

Anyway, I will contact Melco and hopefully to hear something from them.

I tried this with WAV files and I am hearing the same as you: a nasty burst of static when the track changes.

I have also noticed that the very beginning of the track (a tiny fraction of a second) is cut off. This isn't noticeable unless the music starts right at the beginning of the track. This happens with WAV files, FLAC files and FLAC transcoded to WAV. I will report this to Melco and see what they say.

Edit: I tried playing the same file on the Hugo TT from Windows using foobar2000 and the start of the music was cut off. I think this puts the Melco in the clear and indicates that the problem is caused by the Hugo TT.

Edit 2: I tried a different USB DAC and the cut-off at the start didn't occur. This confirms that the cut-off problem is caused by the Hugo TT and isn't related to the Melco problem with static noise between tracks.
13-08-2015, 00:44
(02-08-2015 18:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 17:13)José Wrote:  hello could someone please tell me how to install minimserver in melco

PM sent.

Would you also please send me these instructions for a Melco N1A. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 12:22
(13-08-2015 00:44)desertaudio Wrote:  Would you also please send me these instructions for a Melco N1A. Thanks.

PM sent.