Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
10-07-2015, 22:29
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(10-07-2015 22:11)Foxman50 Wrote:  Simon, Using the your instructions for BBC HLS streams will this work via the Melco also if Minimserver is installed on my Synology. Im presuming this would work for any iRadio station.

Graeme

This is working for me using the N1A+Hugo TT as a UPnP renderer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2015, 11:52
Hi, I am looking for help to install Minimserver on a Melco N1A. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
24-07-2015, 13:57
(24-07-2015 11:52)Carcrashboy Wrote:  Hi, I am looking for help to install Minimserver on a Melco N1A. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

PM sent.
28-07-2015, 11:59
I've just seen this thread and read about 50% of it. Apologies if it has already been discussed but, because the Melco device produces better sound quality by inserting optical isolation in the path between NAS and the player, I wonder whether a similar benefit could be obtained by inserting a wireless bridge between the NAS and player in the ethernet network. I have had to do this in my system because of the physical locations of the NAS and player, so I cannot comment on the sound quality difference between wired and wireless ethernet connection. I use 2 Apple Airport Extremes to form the bridge. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who could make this comparison.

As to why there can be any difference in sound quality I believe Martin Collums surmised in the Audio Critic that noise / imperfect pulse shape in the ethernet packets could have an adverse effect.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
28-07-2015, 12:27 (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 13:28 by simoncn.)
(28-07-2015 11:59)DavidL Wrote:  I've just seen this thread and read about 50% of it. Apologies if it has already been discussed but, because the Melco device produces better sound quality by inserting optical isolation in the path between NAS and the player, I wonder whether a similar benefit could be obtained by inserting a wireless bridge between the NAS and player in the ethernet network. I have had to do this in my system because of the physical locations of the NAS and player, so I cannot comment on the sound quality difference between wired and wireless ethernet connection. I use 2 Apple Airport Extremes to form the bridge. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who could make this comparison.

The Melco does not use optical isolation. See this post. I have edited post #1 on this thread to clarify this.

Quote:As to why there can be any difference in sound quality I believe Martin Collums surmised in the Audio Critic that noise / imperfect pulse shape in the ethernet packets could have an adverse effect.

This seems like a plausible explanation for the sound quality improvement that many people have noticed.
01-08-2015, 22:09
I see firmware 2.10 for Melco had been released. On http://melco-audio.com it announces that gapless playback is now supported which is good but theres no mention of any other changes. Do you think it's safe to upgrade without breaking Minimserver (presuming I have to reinstall it)? I'm guessing Minimserver isn't native in this firmware release?
02-08-2015, 08:14
(01-08-2015 22:09)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  I see firmware 2.10 for Melco had been released. On http://melco-audio.com it announces that gapless playback is now supported which is good but theres no mention of any other changes. Do you think it's safe to upgrade without breaking Minimserver (presuming I have to reinstall it)? I'm guessing Minimserver isn't native in this firmware release?

You are correct that MinimServer isn't included in this new firmware.

I will try this firmware update later today and let you know the result.
02-08-2015, 14:10
(02-08-2015 08:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 22:09)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  I see firmware 2.10 for Melco had been released. On http://melco-audio.com it announces that gapless playback is now supported which is good but theres no mention of any other changes. Do you think it's safe to upgrade without breaking Minimserver (presuming I have to reinstall it)? I'm guessing Minimserver isn't native in this firmware release?

Hola ,me podría indicar alguien como se instala Minimserve en el Melco
Gracias
02-08-2015, 14:12
Hola ,me podría indicar alguien como instalar Minimserver en el melco
02-08-2015, 16:24 (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 16:24 by simoncn.)
(02-08-2015 08:14)simoncn Wrote:  

I did the update from 2.01 to 2.10 (via internet) and all seems to be well. It's very nice to have gapless playback! Smile