Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Q: XLD vs. MinimServer
24-10-2014, 20:30
Newbie Q: XLD vs. MinimServer
I am in process of ripping my CDs to a Synology NAS with MinimServer loaded, using XLD on an iMac. I set XLD to tag. Now when I need to go back to make corrections (e.g., where 2 discs are listed separately but are really part of the same set, cover art missing), do I do so in MiniM? If so, is there a guide how to do so?

Where XLD did not locate the cover art, do I need to scan it or is there a better way to add it? How?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 20:59
RE: Newbie Q: XLD vs. MinimServer
(24-10-2014 20:30)rdono61 Wrote:  I am in process of ripping my CDs to a Synology NAS with MinimServer loaded, using XLD on an iMac. I set XLD to tag. Now when I need to go back to make corrections (e.g., where 2 discs are listed separately but are really part of the same set, cover art missing), do I do so in MiniM? If so, is there a guide how to do so?

Where XLD did not locate the cover art, do I need to scan it or is there a better way to add it? How?

Thanks in advance.

You can't make tag changes using MinimServer. For this, you need a tagging program. A good tagging program for the Mac is Metadatics.

A bit of web searching should locate a cover art image for almost any album. The image might be low-resolution, though.
24-10-2014, 21:09
(24-10-2014 20:59)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 20:30)rdono61 Wrote:  I am in process of ripping my CDs to a Synology NAS with MinimServer loaded, using XLD on an iMac. I set XLD to tag. Now when I need to go back to make corrections (e.g., where 2 discs are listed separately but are really part of the same set, cover art missing), do I do so in MiniM? If so, is there a guide how to do so?

Thanks in advance.

You can't make tag changes using MinimServer. For this, you need a tagging program. A good tagging program for the Mac is Metadatics.

A bit of web searching should locate a cover art image for almost any album. The image might be low-resolution, though.

Thanks for the quick response. I know these are dumb questions but:

1. If I find the cover art on the web, how do I download it to go with the music file? Is there a way to load it through XLD?
2. How does a program like Metadatics interact with XLD and or the files on Minim?
24-10-2014, 21:53
(24-10-2014 21:09)rdono61 Wrote:  Thanks for the quick response. I know these are dumb questions but:

1. If I find the cover art on the web, how do I download it to go with the music file? Is there a way to load it through XLD?
2. How does a program like Metadatics interact with XLD and or the files on Minim?

Disclaimer: I haven't used XLD myself and I've only had a brief look at Metadatics. My understanding is that XLD is primarily a ripping program with some metadata editing capabilities, whereas Metadatics provides more advanced capabilities for editing metadata in your track files (tags and album art). You would rip with XLD to get 90% towards what you what and fix up the last 10% with Metadatics. You should be able to download album art as a .jpg or .png file and use Metadatics to embed this in the track files. Alternatively, you can place the album art in the same folder as the track files and name the album art file Folder.jpg or Folder.png.