Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AlbumArtist Issues - creates more Albums
27-09-2014, 20:12
RE: AlbumArtist Issues - creates more Albums
(27-09-2014 19:45)DavidHB Wrote:  What MinimServer does not like (understandably in my view) is having multiple AlbumArtist tags, but it is happy to deal with multiple Artist tags. So an AlbumArtist tag of 'Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Georg Solti' will work, as will separate Artist tags of 'Chicago Symphony Orchestra' and 'Georg Solti'. And you can similarly populate the separate Orchestra and Conductor tags as well.
I completely fail to understand why multiple AlbumArtist tags are not supported by MinimServer. I also fail to understand why someone would ever combine two names into one tag value. This illustrates how we all think differently Smile

I'd simply add that all the other tools I use do support multiple AlbumArtist tags, and I use the facility quite extensively.

No matter....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2014, 23:35
(27-09-2014 20:12)Pastim Wrote:  I completely fail to understand why multiple AlbumArtist tags are not supported by MinimServer.

If you regard the AlbumArtist tag as part of what does or could define the grouping of tracks that forms a logical album, it makes sense to have a single tag. Simon is the authority on any technical difficulties that might arise if multiple values are allowed.

(27-09-2014 20:12)Pastim Wrote:  I also fail to understand why someone would ever combine two names into one tag value. This illustrates how we all think differently Smile

Indeed. Over the year or so that I have been ripping and tagging my music collection, I have given a lot of thought to the way I record artist information. I find that, as often as not, I am interested in the performers in combination rather than separately; for example, I might want to listen to Georg Solti's recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony with the LSO, and not the one with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Because I can use UPnP search to find, say, all instances of 'Solti' in the collection, I do not lose anything by including several names in the Artist or AlbumArtist tags.

It's not that I say that what I do is the only way of doing things, or even that it is 'right'. All I say is that it works for me. I hope that that at least is an understandable statement.

David
29-09-2014, 08:20
(28-09-2014 23:35)DavidHB Wrote:  ... for example, I might want to listen to Georg Solti's recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony with the LSO, and not the one with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Because I can use UPnP search to find, say, all instances of 'Solti' in the collection, I do not lose anything by including several names in the Artist or AlbumArtist tags.
And the way I tend to find music is by an index, rather than a search, so I look up Solti in the index for AlbumArtist (or in this case probably by Conductor, and for Abbado since I prefer his recordings!) and see two performances.

Anyway - enough for now Smile
29-09-2014, 15:11 (This post was last modified: 29-09-2014 15:11 by DavidHB.)
(29-09-2014 08:20)Pastim Wrote:  Anyway - enough for now Smile

Agreed (by the way, I have Abbado's recording as well ...). This was getting to be far too much fun. Smile

David
09-10-2014, 20:33
I have a solution to my, and possibly others, dilemma regarding multiple AlbumArtist tags.

If it meets with the approval of the powers that be it might be useful to include something like it in the user guide, for obstinate people such as myself who still insist that multiple AlbumArtists can and do exist and should be separate, also suiting the behaviour of some other music servers.

I have created a new tag, just for MinimServer. I call it MinimAlbumArtist. It contains a concatenated set of AlbumArtist tags (in mp3tag and puddletag this is an action on tag MinimAlbumArtist to format it as:
Code:
$meta_sep(albumartist,; )

In MinimServer, the relevant properties are:
Code:
aliasTags - AlbumArtist:MainArtist,MinimAlbumArtist:AlbumArtist
indexTags - MainArtist:AlbumArtist .....
itemTags - MinimAlbumArtist, AlbumArtistSort.......
tagValue - MainArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort}....
tagCustom -  MainArtist.displayRole={artist}, all.display.multiTag .....
So the real, multiple, AlbumArtist tags are now MainArtist tags, but displayed as AlbumArtists. I can have a many as I like, and use the menu to select any one of these AlbumArtists, just like other servers.

However, minimserver now has no AlbumArtist to use to tie one set of tracks with different sets of Artists together from different folders, and therefore miscounts single and multi-disc Albums as a result.

By using MinimAlbumArtist, now aliased as AlbumArtist, but not used as an index tag (so not visible), minimserver is happy. It has a unique AlbumArtist and counts Albums correctly.

This has bothered me on an off for a very long time. It bothered me even more when I started to look at using the Group tag, which expects a consistent set of tracks across multiple discs in one Album. So I was forced to think again about a solution to keep both my brain and minimserver happy at the same time.

Smile
09-10-2014, 22:36 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 22:36 by simoncn.)
(09-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  I have a solution to my, and possibly others, dilemma regarding multiple AlbumArtist tags.

If it meets with the approval of the powers that be it might be useful to include something like it in the user guide, for obstinate people such as myself who still insist that multiple AlbumArtists can and do exist and should be separate, also suiting the behaviour of some other music servers.

I have created a new tag, just for MinimServer. I call it MinimAlbumArtist. It contains a concatenated set of AlbumArtist tags (in mp3tag and puddletag this is an action on tag MinimAlbumArtist to format it as:
Code:

Code:
So the real, multiple, AlbumArtist tags are now MainArtist tags, but displayed as AlbumArtists. I can have a many as I like, and use the menu to select any one of these AlbumArtists, just like other servers.

However, minimserver now has no AlbumArtist to use to tie one set of tracks with different sets of Artists together from different folders, and therefore miscounts single and multi-disc Albums as a result.

By using MinimAlbumArtist, now aliased as AlbumArtist, but not used as an index tag (so not visible), minimserver is happy. It has a unique AlbumArtist and counts Albums correctly.

This has bothered me on an off for a very long time. It bothered me even more when I started to look at using the Group tag, which expects a consistent set of tracks across multiple discs in one Album. So I was forced to think again about a solution to keep both my brain and minimserver happy at the same time.

Smile

Thanks for posting this. I'm pleased to hear you have found a workable solution.

This solution is similar the suggestion I had made in this post. Your MinimAlbumArtist tag is playing the role of the MergeArtist tag that I had suggested.
09-10-2014, 22:46
(09-10-2014 22:36)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  I have a solution to my, and possibly others, dilemma regarding multiple AlbumArtist tags.

Code:

Code:

Smile

Thanks for posting this. I'm pleased to hear you have found a workable solution.

This solution is similar the suggestion I had made in this post. Your MinimAlbumArtist tag is playing the role of the MergeArtist tag that I had suggested.
I'm sorry. My memory is very poor. I should have tried harder.

I also suspect that at the time I didn't see that your MergeArtist solution could be automated for all albums, not just some, and combined with the MainArtist idea. I was expecting to have to go through every single track on every album checking whether the Artists were the same or not. There is, of course, no need. I can do the same for all albums, and hence automate it.