Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accepting update on Synology NAS has broken MinimServer
24-09-2014, 13:17
Accepting update on Synology NAS has broken MinimServer
All my recent updates to MinimServer and MinimWatch have been done immediately after seeing update availability messages popping up on my PC. However, I was browsing my Synology DS412+ NAS a few minutes ago and saw a message in the Package Center that there was an update waiting for MinimServer. I activated the update but got some error message relating to Java.

MinimServer is now no longer working and is shown as uninstalled. I attempted to run the normal installation process from scratch but my NAS keeps telling me that "Port 9790 configured for this package is either used by another service or reserved for system use. Please disable or modify the conflicting service, or contact the developer to modify the package configuration".

Where do I go from here?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2014, 16:12
RE: Accepting update on Synology NAS has broken MinimServer
(24-09-2014 13:17)haggis999 Wrote:  All my recent updates to MinimServer and MinimWatch have been done immediately after seeing update availability messages popping up on my PC. However, I was browsing my Synology DS412+ NAS a few minutes ago and saw a message in the Package Center that there was an update waiting for MinimServer. I activated the update but got some error message relating to Java.

MinimServer is now no longer working and is shown as uninstalled. I attempted to run the normal installation process from scratch but my NAS keeps telling me that "Port 9790 configured for this package is either used by another service or reserved for system use. Please disable or modify the conflicting service, or contact the developer to modify the package configuration".

Where do I go from here?

David

I presume you previously had MinimServer 0.8.1 installed and the update was for MinimServer 0.8.2. I'm not sure why accepting this update would cause a Java error or why you are now getting the message about port 9790. Please see this post for a solution to the port 9790 problem.

Can you remember what the error message about Java said exactly (or approximately)?
24-09-2014, 16:25 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 16:50 by haggis999.)
(24-09-2014 16:12)simoncn Wrote:  I presume you previously had MinimServer 0.8.1 installed and the update was for MinimServer 0.8.2. I'm not sure why accepting this update would cause a Java error or why you are now getting the message about port 9790. Please see this post for a solution to the port 9790 problem.

Can you remember what the error message about Java said exactly (or approximately)?
Yes, my existing MinimServer installation was at 0.8.1, while the update offered via the DSM Package Center was for 0.8.2. I can't remember any details about the original Java-related error message.

After making my post, I tried searching for any past references to Port 9790 and found your guidance for resolving that problem. However, it didn't work for me.

Your first instruction was to "Login to the NAS as root using SSH". SSH meant nothing to me but some Googling suggested that a free software package called PuTTY offered a SSH facility. I installed PuTTY but when I attempted to log in to the IP address of my NAS the connection was refused.

It may be that the default settings in PuTTY are not appropriate for what I am trying to do but I am hesitant to tweak settings I don't really understand.

David
24-09-2014, 16:50 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 16:52 by simoncn.)
(24-09-2014 16:25)haggis999 Wrote:  Your first instruction was to "Login to the NAS as root using SSH". SSH meant nothing to me but some Googling suggested that a free software package called PuTTY offered a SSH facility. I have installed PuTTY but when I attempted to log in to the IP address of my NAS the connection was refused.

David

From the DSM admin page, open Control Panel and select Terminal & SNMP. In the Terminal tab, check the 'Enable SSH service' box and click Apply. This should allow you to login from PuTTY with SSH selected as the Connection type. Don't forget to specify the SSH login user as 'root' rather than the usual 'admin'.
24-09-2014, 17:27 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 17:31 by haggis999.)
Thanks. That resolved the PuTTY login problem. However, after running the "/usr/syno/bin/servicetool --remove-configure-file --package MinimServer.sc" command and rebooting the NAS, the installation of MinimServer 0.8.2 failed with the following error.

Operation failed.
Java is not installed or not properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package.

I'm not quite sure why Java has uninstalled itself but I'll reinstall it and hope that all will be well...

David
24-09-2014, 17:45 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 17:49 by simoncn.)
(24-09-2014 17:27)haggis999 Wrote:  Thanks. That resolved the PuTTY login problem. However, after running the "/usr/syno/bin/servicetool --remove-configure-file --package MinimServer.sc" command and rebooting the NAS, the installation of MinimServer 0.8.2 failed with the following error.

Operation failed.
Java is not installed or not properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package.

I'm not quite sure why Java has uninstalled itself but I'll reinstall it and hope that all will be well...

David

This might have been the Java error that you saw earlier. It probably means that you were previously using the Java installer from pcloadletter.co.uk instead of the JavaManager package from Synology. You should remove the pcloadletter.co.uk package and install JavaManager instead. See the "Installing Java (Intel and ARMv7 models)" section on this page for detailed instructions.

Edit: Another possibility is that this could be related to upgrading DSM from 4.3 to 5.0. DSM 5.0 requires a different version of JavaManager than DSM 4.3.
24-09-2014, 17:58 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 17:59 by haggis999.)
(24-09-2014 17:45)simoncn Wrote:  This might have been the Java error that you saw earlier. It probably means that you were previously using the Java installer from pcloadletter.co.uk instead of the JavaManager package from Synology. You should remove the pcloadletter.co.uk package and install JavaManager instead. See the "Installing Java (Intel and ARMv7 models)" section on this page for detailed instructions.

Edit: Another possibility is that this could be related to upgrading DSM from 4.3 to 5.0. DSM 5.0 requires a different version of JavaManager than DSM 4.3.

I've never heard of pcloadletter.co.uk, so that's not likely to be relevant, but I have made the upgrade to DSM 5.0 (which was working fine with MinimServer until today).

I have now reinstalled Java 7 SE on my NAS and updated MinimWatch to 0.8.2 on my PC. However, all my previous configuration settings have now disappeared! Is there an easy way to reinstate these settings?

David
24-09-2014, 19:00 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 19:03 by simoncn.)
(24-09-2014 17:58)haggis999 Wrote:  I've never heard of pcloadletter.co.uk, so that's not likely to be relevant, but I have made the upgrade to DSM 5.0 (which was working fine with MinimServer until today).

Did you reinstall Java when you updated to DSM 5.0? When I updated to DSM 5.0, I received a message telling me to do this.

Quote:I have now reinstalled Java 7 SE on my NAS and updated MinimWatch to 0.8.2 on my PC. However, all my previous configuration settings have now disappeared! Is there an easy way to reinstate these settings?

David

When you uninstall MinimServer, you should get a prompt asking you whether you want to backup your configuration settings. Because DSM forcibly uninstalled MinimServer after the Java error, it appears that this backup wasn't created. (If it had been created, it would have been automatically applied when you reinstalled MinimServer.)

Do you have a backup of the complete contents of your NAS? If so, your minimserver.config file would be in the MinimServer/appData folder and you could copy it from this folder in your backup to this folder in your running system. You should stop MinimServer in the DSM Package Center before doing this copy and restart it after you have done the copy.
24-09-2014, 20:02
I did see occasional very short popup messages about Java at the bottom of the Internet Explorer screen in recent weeks but their purpose was not fully clear to me and I had taken the option of updating later, which had no effect on MinimServer until I tried applying the update via Package Center earlier today.

I backup any changes to my primary NAS on a daily basis to a secondary NAS in a separate building but, unfortunately, I only backup my media files (which took many weeks to rip from the original disks). It never occurred to me to back up any application files. Grrrrrr...

Most of my original configuration has been recreated after reference to one of my previous threads in this forum (called 'Streamlining the browsing tree & multiple configs') but I'm still not getting my normal library view in BubbleUPnP. It's showing far too many albums, because it's treating every work as a separate album instead of showing multiple works within each album (where relevant).

I'll try to post my current configuration settings later this evening.

David
24-09-2014, 20:33
My current attempt to recreate my previous MinimServer configuration is as follows. As explained in my last post, this suffers from the fact that Albums appear to be being equated with Works, when the reality is that most of my albums contain multiple works.

Any ideas about how I can fix this would be much appreciated.

David

Server
aliasTags: Work:Group
alphaGroup: Composer
contentDir: /volume1/music/My Music
displayName: MinimServer[BonzoNAS]
indexTags: Genre, Sub-Genre, Composer, Group\:Work
itemTags:
listViewAlbums:
mergeFolderAlbums: false
tagOptions: Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}
tagValue: