Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MinimServer 0.62 transcodes FLAC files to WAV
09-12-2012, 22:44
RE: ALAC to WAV transcoding
(09-12-2012 22:19)manasek Wrote:  I vote for ALAC to WAV transcoding feature as well. Simon, do you have any idea when approximately this could come true?

Can you say a bit more about how you would use it? There are some different options for how this support could be provided. What device would you be using as the music renderer?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 18:31
(09-12-2012 22:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 22:19)manasek Wrote:  I vote for ALAC to WAV transcoding feature as well. Simon, do you have any idea when approximately this could come true?

Can you say a bit more about how you would use it? There are some different options for how this support could be provided. What device would you be using as the music renderer?

I use Denon DNP720AE as the music renderer. This device supports WMA, MP3, WAV, AAC, FLAC, WMA lossless (Transcode) natively. I'd like to have my music library on my Mac Min in ALAC only as I have quite a number of Apple friendly devices which can receive ALAC music from iTunes or DLNA servers natively. My Denon is the only device for which I have to go FLAC for lossless audio. If I use iSedora as DLNA server on my Mac Mini I am able to navigate through Denon "music server menus" to ALAC files stored on my Mac Mini and play them because iSedora transcodes ALAC to WMA lossless (or LPCM) on the fly.

I prefer MinimServer from iSedora thus implementing ALAC to WAV transcoding feature into MinimServer (like FLAC to WAV already implemented) would be awesome (and supporting hi-res files 24/96 would be also great for transcoting :-)
10-12-2012, 20:40
(10-12-2012 18:31)manasek Wrote:  I use Denon DNP720AE as the music renderer. This device supports WMA, MP3, WAV, AAC, FLAC, WMA lossless (Transcode) natively. I'd like to have my music library on my Mac Min in ALAC only as I have quite a number of Apple friendly devices which can receive ALAC music from iTunes or DLNA servers natively. My Denon is the only device for which I have to go FLAC for lossless audio. If I use iSedora as DLNA server on my Mac Mini I am able to navigate through Denon "music server menus" to ALAC files stored on my Mac Mini and play them because iSedora transcodes ALAC to WMA lossless (or LPCM) on the fly.

I prefer MinimServer from iSedora thus implementing ALAC to WAV transcoding feature into MinimServer (like FLAC to WAV already implemented) would be awesome (and supporting hi-res files 24/96 would be also great for transcoting :-)

Thanks for explaining this. By your reference to 24/96, I presume you mean that some of your ALAC files are in 24/96 resolution, and the Denon can accept 24/96 resolution for a transcoded WAV file. Please confirm that I've understood this correctly.
10-12-2012, 21:07
RE: MinimServer 0.62 transcodes FLAC files to WAV
(10-12-2012 20:40)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for explaining this. By your reference to 24/96, I presume you mean that some of your ALAC files are in 24/96 resolution, and the
Denon can accept 24/96 resolution for a transcoded WAV file. Please confirm that I've understood this correctly.

Yes, very few of my ALAC files are in 24/96 resolution. According to manual
.pdf  DNP-720-EN_S.pdf (Size: 987.18 KB / Downloads: 2) , Denon can accept 24/96 FLAC files. I didn't actually test whether the transcoded 24/96 WAV stream is played in 24/96 resolution or down sampled at Denons side.

I am not sure how MinimServers FLAC to WAV transcoding works from a resolution point of view. Is 24/96 FLAC transcoded to 24/96 WAV or is down sampled? I guess in case you are willing to add ALAC to WAV feature into MinimServer it would behave the same way like existing FLAC to WAV transcoding feature.
11-12-2012, 10:12 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 10:12 by simoncn.)
(10-12-2012 21:07)manasek Wrote:  Yes, very few of my ALAC files are in 24/96 resolution. According to manual , Denon can accept 24/96 FLAC files. I didn't actually test whether the transcoded 24/96 WAV stream is played in 24/96 resolution or down sampled at Denons side.

I am not sure how MinimServers FLAC to WAV transcoding works from a resolution point of view. Is 24/96 FLAC transcoded to 24/96 WAV or is down sampled? I guess in case you are willing to add ALAC to WAV feature into MinimServer it would behave the same way like existing FLAC to WAV transcoding feature.

Yes, the current FLAC to WAV support transcodes 24/96 FLAC to 24/96 WAV. I'd hope to be able to do this for ALAC as well.

Regarding the possible timescale for ALAC transcoding, I won't be able to use the same technical approach for transcoding ALAC as I'm using for FLAC. I'm doing a technology investigation at the moment for an alternative approach. If this is successful, there will be significant work needed to package and deliver the solution. I'm reluctant to give a time estimate at this early stage because the chances of its being accurate are quite small.
11-12-2012, 10:19
(11-12-2012 10:12)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, the current FLAC to WAV support transcodes 24/96 FLAC to 24/96 WAV. I'd hope to be able to do this for ALAC as well.

Regarding the possible timescale for ALAC transcoding, I won't be able to use the same technical approach for transcoding ALAC as I'm using for FLAC. I'm doing a technology investigation at the moment for an alternative approach. If this is successful, there will be significant work needed to package and deliver the solution. I'm reluctant to give a time estimate at this early stage because the chances of its being accurate are quite small.

Good news for me even just knowing that implementation of ALAC transcoding has been taken into account!